Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been pulling my hair out. I bought a 2003 LTZ400 that was in rough looking shape. Ran like a champ though. So I took a fully working quad and did a complete strip down to frame. I powder coated the frame, A-Arms and also converted the lower to except a Honda joint. So I got everything back together and noticed the neutral light stayed on in any gear. Well I found I had two connecters in the wrong spot, I switched them back and lights work and it fires over. I pull the spark plug and ground it to the head and I have spark. After I install it back into the block it wont fire. I even tried to spray starter fluid in the spark head and install spark plug back in. Not even a slight pop. I did notice at one point the exhaust pipe was warm but didn't seem to have any sign of life. I tried to run it in PRI but for the most part I have tried on RES. I know the vacuum is working and the bowl is full. I kept thinking the coil isn't grounded enough with the powder coating. I ground the powder off the landing behind the coil and reinstalled it. Still nothing!!! It ran great before I powder coated the frame. I didn't do a thing to the engine besides lifting it out of the frame and putting it back in. My friend keeps staying its a ground issue. I took a jumper cable from the jug to the negative on the battery. Still no dice. Any ideas. I ordered a Dynatek coil since I figured it might be a coil. I doubt it since they rarely go bad but excuse to upgrade to a aftermarket part. BTW everything is currently stock.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
I've heard a few cases of the plug wire having a loose connection near the plug. I'd also check the CDI plug for bent/burned pins and test the kill switch, clutch safety switch, etc. The main ground wire from the battery should go straight to one of the starter mount bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Quick question. I might have found the problem. Should the male spade on the coil have continuity to the ground? I found the power the CDI sends to the coil is grounding out the second I plug the female cable into the coil. I can meter the wire and a ground and have tone. I would think this means a bad coil. also is there a Honda or Yamaha coil that would work on this bike that I could test with? I don't have a Suzuki dealer near me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts