Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a friend who has a 2003 suzuki z400 for sale told me sell it to me for 400 dollars runs great not a problem with nothing except has a cracked crank case is wut he told me leaks oil but not to bad and needs new front brakes also front brake grip is broken the quad has been used fairly but still gets up and goes is this a good quad to fix or can i fix it was wondering just want a extra quad for friends and my wife wants to start riding? the crack is right where the shifter is?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Yea

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
the leak is under the shifter would that just be the clutch cover? or is that where the oil is ?
Nope. Thats the case. You can get them repaired, but a better option would be to replace the bottom cases. That typically happens when the chain isn't properly cared for and it breaks while riding without a case saver installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i meant its for 500 that was a oldpost i had he was trying to sell it to me for 1000 then now he toldme 500?? howmuch would it cost to repair?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just wanna know 500 bucks to buy and ride and keep adding oil or just to repair or just forget bout it

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
i just wanna know 500 bucks to buy and ride and keep adding oil or just to repair or just forget bout it
Repair it and forget about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
cracks get worse with time, no matter the case, fix it 500 bucks is a good deal tho, wouldn't be loosing anything

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree, if you plan on buying it for 500 and not fixing, its probably best you dont bother, will just tear it up even more. Buy for 500 and look for cases, but i think you would have a hard time finding used ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and also seen the leak its a chunk missing right underneath the shifter he has it zip tied with a gasket lol so it leaks a lil

·
Registered
53 Posts
haha i got the same deal but i bought just the motor id say do it

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
For $400 delivered definetly grab it up. Post up some pics of the damage. If it's ziptied on now and isn't leaking terribly, you might be able to get away with some careful JB weld work. Especially if it won't be ridden that hard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
now where could i find a cheap casing possibly ?wut other casing match to the ltz 400? and a rebiuld kit since it would be torn apart?the zip ties hold the shifter together thats how big crack is so the shifter doesnt have alot of play? or call my local shop to see how much they would charge to fix it or run it till it blows up and by new engine or wut to do?? ill post picstomrow

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
Find a bottom end on ebay. Idk how mechanically inclined you are but that would be the easiest way to do it. Grab a complete bottom end and throw the top end on and call it good.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Its a lot easier to just replace the bottom end as Josh stated above, than to replace the cases. Find yourself a good bottom end and a top end gasket kit. Make sure you get a service manual as well since it has all the tear down instructions. Very easy to do if you know how to turn a wrench.

EDIT: unless you plan on replacing your piston rings, make sure you keep the piston in the cylinder when taking it off. You can put the crank at TDC then pull the cylinder up until the wrist pin is exposed. Pop the circlip off the wrist pin and slide it out. Of course, you could go ahead and replace the piston and/or rings while you're in there as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Find a bottom end on ebay. Idk how mechanically inclined you are but that would be the easiest way to do it. Grab a complete bottom end and throw the top end on and call it good.

that would be the easiest unless yu are mechanically inclined or atleast have the cylamers manual couple beers on a friday night by saturday afternoon/evanin yu could be riding i got the same problem with the 04 motor i bought but it was just the clutch lever i put some jb weld on it to see how that goes nd if it doesnt work im going to get it welded cuz the motor i got with my bike :) i got some plans for

1 - 20 of 35 Posts