Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, my name is Corey and I have been on here for quite a while. I got my 03 Z400 off the showroom floor back in October 2002 when I was 16. I would say it has pretty low hours on it because when I was away for college I probably rode the thing maybe just a handful of times a year. In 2003 threw on skidplates, DG nerfs, a DG front bumper, and renthal bars and it has basically been at that stage since then until last year. Last summer I stared to do some upgrades by picking up a Yoshi full system, FCR, 400ex boot, new shocks, and other miscellaneous parts, and finally woke it up. Over the last few months I have been gathering parts to do some maintenance and to upgrade it to a really nice trail machine. I figured I would share this mild build with you all. Here is a current walk around video of where my z stands now, and I will be adding pics of the progress.

Modded 2003 Suzuki Z400 Walk Around & Start - YouTube

Here is where she stands now, I sold the DG nerfs and front Works Shocks and will be replacing them soon.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Made some progress this afternoon by tearing it down.

Here is an idea of what I am "refreshing" on my Z. Also I am swapping the sub frame with an 04+ one.

Ran into a small issue with a spacer that came with the Zbros airbox lift kit, I need to bore out the spacer to accomodate the 4mm bolt it came with. I also need to make some brackets to hold a fullbore radiator guard that I want to install.

I have a crack in my Yoshi muffler so I'm gonna send it out this week to be re-sleeved, new springs and re-packed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Subframe & Airbox lift kit installed, NEED HELP with Trail Tech Clamp!!!

Thanks guys! I really take pride in my quad in keeping it clean, just how it is with everything I have I appreciate stuff.

I was able to get the 04+ sub frame installed along with the Zbros airbox lift kit. I would say it lifted the airbox a quarter of and inch to a half an inch higher. Now my shock does not rub on my 400ex air boot and the boot is less restrictive and not getting pinched. I highly recommend this kit if you are doing the 400ex boot right into the airbox with a 400ex air filter.

So I am having some issues with the install of the Trail Tech Billet Clamp. As seen in the picture I cannot mount it with the ignition in because it hits the steering stem. I think I missing something with this clamp to install it correctly? For you trail tech clamp users out there, what sort of spacer did you use here so the ignition switch would clear the steering stem?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also picked up a set of 05+ front shocks from f4istunna on here, great seller btw. They were pretty dirty but I wire brushed all of the aluminum on the shocks and they came out looking brand new. I took the springs out and plan on dropping them off to be powder-coated red today.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So far I have come across a few bumps in the road. 1) the trail tech clamp. I picked up some bar risers to mount it and it came with non metric bolts and I have not been able to find 8 mm x.125 bolts in a long length locally. 2) full bore rad guard, I have to remove my header and radiator to fit this thing in, then I need to fabricate brackets for it. 3) my FCR carb to head boot seems to be ripped a little on the inside.This boot is larger than the stock boot so I am thinking it is either a yfz450 boot or a DRZ boot. I am looking into other FCR to head options. And 4) I got my pipe back from Yoshimura and requested/paid for a new titanium sleeve and they re-sleeved it in aluminum. .:angryfire: Just some little things, for a few days i am going to the Poconos for a bachelor party so I am hoping to get everything together for some riding by next weekend!:cool:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Back together and ready to ride!

After about a month and a half I finally got it all back together. I installed the 05+ shocks and subframe, PRM grab bar mounted, Yoshimura pipe re-sleeved with new springs and re-packed, installed a PEP steering stabilizer, Pro taper contour bars, ODI Rouge grips, and a pain in the but trail tech billet clamp finally mounted. I took it out for a ride on the powerlines and I noticed a huge difference with the steering stabilizer, I just have to adjust the idle on the carb a little bit.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recently I found some random aluminum guards in the garage I may put on the Z. I can identify one as a water pump guard and another possibly as a rear master cylinder guard. Anyone know what the other two could be for?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Good lookin 03. How did u turn the yellow springs red on the front shocks.

Steering stabilizers are the shiznits

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I took the front springs completely out and had them sandblasted/ powdercoated "traffic red" locally. They turned out awesome! I don't know how I rode so long without a stabilizer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So this is turning into more of a "refresh" lol, let it continue. Recently I picked up a LSR swingarm from a member on here. A week later I picked up a whole parts quad with another LSR swingarm on it. So I have been working on the parts quad and put the stock swinger back on it. Now obviously I don't need two swing arms, though I am not familiar with these Lonestar Racing swing arm designs. Which one is better? anyone recommend one over the other? I have bearing carriers for both.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided that I am keeping the one on the right. The left one is good and will be up for sale.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on continuing this build and so far these are the parts I need to accommodate the +1.25" swing arm/ long travel a arms, and +1 steering stem I have.

Elka rear linkage
Elka stage 3 suspension package
S.S. Rear brake line for +1 swing arm
YFZ450 front calipers
05+ LTZ front spindles
09+ LTZ or 06+ LTR tie rod ends
New rear carrier bearings
new swing arm needle/ linkage bearings
New steering stem bushing and bearing
100 link chain
TM design works chain guide
swing arm powder coated textured black

Looking for used Elka link, 05 + spindles, and YFZ calipers now. Everything else will be new.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Went for a ride at Tall Pines ATV park in Andover NY, and yes I get my Z dirty! Many of you in the northeast may be familiar with this place because they host the Tough Mudder race annually here. I have a couple videos from this trip too I should put up on here, its a really fun place to ride and is pretty close to PA.

Here is a little status update, what she currently looks as of yesterday. I have mounted the AC Racing standard Nerfs (still have the other brand new set available for sale), picked up a roll design shifter, and installed the pretty yoshi timing bolt cap, along with some holeshot front tires now mounted up. I am currently working on gathering all the parts to install the LSR/ domminator rear end. Hoping to get the rear end complete for use on the ice this winter!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You wanna sell that aluminum sprocket guard

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I actually do want to sell it lol. Its a Tusk, not even a year old, I picked it up just so I qualified for free shipping over 100 when I bought my helmet at RMATV. I want to get one that covers the entire front sprocket. I PM'ed you.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Is it a sprocket guard or a case saver. I

1 - 20 of 38 Posts