Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2004 dvx 400 for trail/road riding and riding on my property. It always starts hard cold I have to give it alittle more than half choke and quarter to half throttle to get it to start. I saw that some people said valves? I live in Wisconsin and the weather is getting colder. This morning I messed with the idle screw and it seemed to start easier with the idle turned quarter way down at 28 degrease? And also it has a smoked taillight is that legal in wi? The wi atv regulations say it needs a taillight on at all times. this has a brake light so the light only turns on when you hit the brakes and is not constantly on when the headlights are on. I know it probably sounds stupid but I don't want to get stopped if I don't need to.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If it runs fine , and when the quad is warm up it start with no issue ,its make sense to check the valve clearance....
if you dont know how , there is a sticky thread on the forum.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
do you start it with a half choke? , it supposed to start with choke fully out(when engine is cold){no need for throttle}, and after u start it u can push the choke back in...

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
The tail light should be on if the headlights are on. Check for power, could just be a bad bulb.
Using full choke to start in cold weather is normal, they are very lean from the factory. You will probably need to turn out the fuel mixture screw anyway, for it to perform right in the cold. That should help the starting as well..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It starts harder with full choke and if I Don’t give it throttle it won’t start. Once it warms up there are no issues whatsoever. Bought it for $1200 and the hard cold start is the only issue. No oil or coolant leaks. If you ask me I would say that’s a good deal. I will look into the tail light, thanks for you help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also everyone says on the frame it says made by Suzuki? I checked on my frame and everything I see says Arctic cat. I just thought it was interesting.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I'm sure my son's 06 said had the suzuki tag. Definitely made by Suzuki though. Just different plastic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also The reverse knob doesn't work. I shift into first turn the knob but it feels like the knob slips. I turn it then when the cable starts getting tight the knob just twists without pulling the cable the rest of the way. Has anyone else have this problem? Could I eliminate the knob and run the cable to the parking brake up by the clutch (as there is no parking brake cable)?

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
The cable could be stretched, you’ll just have to see what it’s doing. If it isn’t pulling out the rod enough to select reverse, you may need a new cable. The knob’s mount screws might be loose or mount bracket bent. Have to investigate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled it apart and found the issue. There is a metal piece in the black knob. They are supposed to be attached to each other but a plastic piece in the knob broke so the knob would turn but not the metal piece. It will go into reverse by pulling the cable. Not sure if I want to try to fix this piece, get a new piece, or run it up to the parking brake (as it looks possible to do).

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
A few people here have run them up to hot start levers on the bars. Pretty nice setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran the reverse to the lever above the clutch (see pics) and it seems to work pretty good. I am very happy the way it turned out and I think you should try it because it is more convenient, easy to throw into rev, and looks nice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your cold start issue sounds alot like valves out of spec. Thats where I would start first. Could also be a clogged pilot jet. But if it starts fine when warmed up, the the valves have expanded making them seal better in the head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts