Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well get started on this. Been holding on to it for the past two years. Day job has had me traveling a lot but now I'm all traveled out.

Here's what I'm working with (pics are not at my garage, but at PO's messy garage):

Not a lot of hours, but always put away wet by PO.

Obviously, first order of business is to do all scheduled maintenance that may have been neglected up to now and while I'm in there replacing the cam chain, installing an AC Mod ACCT. Open to any other recommendations while I'm in there, bearing in mind that for the first couple years I want to stay in 400cc classes.

I want to stay 400cc for now as I am a bit of a newb and only have a couple hours riding experience and most are on this quad until it died (Mikuni needs rebuild. . . FCR TIME!!!). I am also an Old Dawg (44 going on 45). Bones are a little more brittle but I am open to learning new tricks. No stranger to being out in the woods and racing. Been involved in BMX racing and freestyle since '82, Mountain biking since '88 and still collect and ride vintage BMX.

Next, I need to swap out the monster truck tires in the rear, along with new rims. Also replace bald fronts and rims. Rims are bent to hell. PO's riding friends all had 4x4 atv's and he was trying his best to keep up off trail. As you can see, she needs a new battery. Already replaced the "wheelie bar" with a Tusk grab bar.

I intend to strip her down to bare frame, brace it and fix factory welds, and epoxy enamel it white (have had a lot of luck with appliance paint and found it holds up as well, if not better, than powder). All swingers will be Full Flights in Silver Vein. Yep, white w/Hutch "Futuristic Black" - must be the 80's BMX in me. Add the orange plastics and it's a creamsicle.

Spent the past 2 years doing a HELL of ALOT of searching here and intend to do the obvious mods. Already started to eliminate the blob. Parking brake was deleted by PO and I've relocated the reverse with a KFX 450 thumber mount. Again, open to any recommendations.

Don't expect her to be done overnight and budget is pending sale of my previous project - '63 Ford Fairlane SC 500. Most will go to house and bills, but I plan on a $3000 budget for the KFX.

Thanks and wish me luck!

P.S.

Anybody recognize the maker of those nerfs?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Gotta get the suspension rebuilt, be the best mod if yyor keeping the stock displacement. Definitely do a fcr, 400ex boot, and full exhaust. I'd say do the drze kit with some cams, probably a good set of oshc will work and by the time you get new wheels and tires your gonna be at the 3 grand range.

Gonna need some skid plates as well. Body and swinger.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
Why are the tires to big. The rims don't look bent at all. Its a off road quad, so it looks like normal wear. get a stabilizer first most overlooked item on a quad.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, brapp!

By searching I read in previous threads that you mated a Leo Vince to a Power Bomb.

PO installed an X3 slip on and I love the sound. Not like the fart cannons the kids in my neighborhood have. Could you elaborate more and provide pic's for this mod?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are the tires to big. The rims don't look bent at all. Its a off road quad, so it looks like normal wear. get a stabilizer first most overlooked item on a quad.
PO was trying to gain ground clearance to keep up with 4x4 atv's, especially when they explore off trail. Brand new but they gotta go!

These rims are shot!:D I've seen IED/mortar/rocket frag damage and these rims should be deadlined!:p

Do know I need a stabilizer. Looking around tells me that I need to stay away from stick style stabilizers and go with a Precision. Also looking at Flexx bars. . . May need to increase my budget!:icon_frown:

:z400rules:

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
PO was trying to gain ground clearance to keep up with 4x4 atv's, especially when they explore off trail. Brand new but they gotta go!

These rims are shot!:D I've seen IED/mortar/rocket frag damage and these rims should be deadlined!:p

Do know I need a stabilizer. Looking around tells me that I need to stay away from stick style stabilizers and go with a Precision. Also looking at Flexx bars. . . May need to increase my budget!:icon_frown:

:z400rules:
give us more pics on the rims. no need to waste money. from what i see those rims look brand new lol. what are the tire sizes? 23 22? get a ccp stabilizer. don't waste your time with flex bars you won't need them. more important to do suspension work. pissing away money on bars won't get you anywhere fast.
when you turn a wheel into this its time to throw it away.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks, brapp!

By searching I read in previous threads that you mated a Leo Vince to a Power Bomb.

PO installed an X3 slip on and I love the sound. Not like the fart cannons the kids in my neighborhood have. Could you elaborate more and provide pic's for this mod?

Thanks!
I forgot about a stabilizer, I have a wore out stick one and I could tell a hell of a difference. Buy a ccp like he said.

The stock header is smaller in diameter where it meets the slip on like yours and mine was. Abou1/4 smaller. I took the mid pipe and powerbomb header to a local fab shop.

The mid pipe is stainless so I couldn't find any exhaust shop that would touch it.

He cut my mid pipe and took a piece of stainless pipe that was bigger and welded it on, and actually cut a slit in it to make it where it fit perfectly on the header and then cut slits on the end (like it is now) so when I installed th clamp it would be tight. It cost me 100$ but it looks almost factory and I only had 100$ in the header and 200$ new in the silencer. 400$ is a pretty cheap full system and its still quiet but has a nice deep tone.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts are pouring in! Need to change thread title. . . budget's getting out of hand!

Will try to pics before I start.

Here one to show what direction I'm going:

·
My Mechanic is a Loser!
1,978 Posts
Those aren't that big of tires at all. I'd keep a tall tire for XC personally.

Hell for woods riding I run a 23front and 22 rear.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
updated graphics. changed #

Went with #289 and added plates.

Grandfather raced dirt stock cars in the '50's with #29 and Dad raced Formula Fords in the '70's with #28 and just sorta combined them.

Anyone notice the logo??

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not alot of work accomplished. Been kinda bummed. Lost a friend to an ATV accident up in Maine. . .

Mostly inventory of incoming parts.

Trying to get things under control. . .

1 - 20 of 51 Posts