Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2005 ltz 400 with an Athena big bore, hot cams, rev max cdi, and full monster exhaust. Does anyone know jets I’ll need? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
More factors involved than that, like airbox lid on or off, What carb, what air filter, and what elevation.
Try comparing with similar setups here:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More factors involved than that, like airbox lid on or off, What carb, what air filter, and what elevation.
Try comparing with similar setups here:
Well I just bought it from a guy that “says” he knew nothing about it. There’s no lid on the air box and it’s a K&N air filter. It’s a Mikuni carb but that’s all I know. Like I said I don’t know anything about the quad I’m just jumping right in.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
I would put in a DynoJet 25 pilot, 160 main, adjustable needle on 3rd clip, and fuel screw 2 turns out. That should get you close, assuming that his info was accurate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would put in a DynoJet 25 pilot, 160 main, adjustable needle on 3rd clip, and fuel screw 2 turns out. That should get you close, assuming that his info was accurate.
So I have a 155 main and 25 pilot.... I didn’t do anything with the needle or fuel screw. It will only start with quick start and run for a second. Could that just be because the needle and screw need to be adjusted?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Is this a new problem or it did this before? I’m not sure what quick start means.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a new problem or it did this before? I’m not sure what quick start means.
I just bought it the other day not running. Quick start is just ether you spray in the intake. It’s highly combustible so it makes for a “quick start”

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Ahh, I see. If you need to use starting fluid, then you have other problems. Start with making sure you have a clean fuel supply getting to the carb. It should flow well on prime. You probably have good enough spark or it wouldn’t have lit off.
The other 2 big things with these motors are valve clearance and compression. If the clearance is out of limits, it won’t start. Search or go to the maintenance forum, there are some good how-to write ups there.
You’ll need to set the needle and mixture screw before trying again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, I see. If you need to use starting fluid, then you have other problems. Start with making sure you have a clean fuel supply getting to the carb. It should flow well on prime. You probably have good enough spark or it wouldn’t have lit off.
The other 2 big things with these motors are valve clearance and compression. If the clearance is out of limits, it won’t start. Search or go to the maintenance forum, there are some good how-to write ups there.
You’ll need to set the needle and mixture screw before trying again.
So when I first got it it didn’t have an air box or filter. I could get it to start but that was it. So I bought a box and filter and also put a 155 main and 25 pilot jet in it. Now I can get it to start and run if I restrict the air intake and feather the throttle to keep it running. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Having to give it throttle and restricting the air means a lack of fuel. It also raises the needle out of its seat to allow fuel from the main. So, the pilot circuit may be clogged somewhere behind the new jet, or the fuel screw needs adjusted out to let in more fuel in the pilot circuit. Is it easier to start with the choke on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having to give it throttle and restricting the air means a lack of fuel. It also raises the needle out of its seat to allow fuel from the main. So, the pilot circuit may be clogged somewhere behind the new jet, or the fuel screw needs adjusted out to let in more fuel in the pilot circuit. Is it easier to start with the choke on?
It won’t start unless I choke it and give it throttle

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
As I thought, the “choke” is just an enrichment circuit which dumps in more fuel. It isn’t really a true choke.

You really need to make sure the compression and valve clearance are good first or all of the carb adjustments you’re making will just be barking up the wrong tree. I’m stressing it because as the valves get too tight and get just outside the limit, it does exactly what you’re describing. Won’t start unless you give it about 1/3 throttle or more and dies as soon as you let off of the throttle. Sometimes won’t start at all. One or the other is a real probability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I thought, the “choke” is just an enrichment circuit which dumps in more fuel. It isn’t really a true choke.

You really need to make sure the compression and valve clearance are good first or all of the carb adjustments you’re making will just be barking up the wrong tree. I’m stressing it because as the valves get too tight and get just outside the limit, it does exactly what you’re describing. Won’t start unless you give it about 1/3 throttle or more and dies as soon as you let off of the throttle. Sometimes won’t start at all. One or the other is a real probability.
How do you check valve clearance?

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Oh, and running it without an air filter will smoke valves and piston rings in a single ride. My K&N fell off once at Glamis, ran amazing for about an hour, then went to restart the next morning and both the valves and rings were shot.

Reactions: amcf18

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
The manual also tells you how, but this is easier to understand. Fairly simple, don’t need to pull cams unless an adjustment needs to be made. Just put it at Top Dead Center, pull the valve cover, and check with feeler gauges. When going back on, the valve cover bolts must not be over tightened! If you do, they’ll snap the cam journal covers that they screw into and you’ll need a new head. 7 ft/lbs, no more than that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The manual also tells you how, but this is easier to understand. Fairly simple, don’t need to pull cams unless an adjustment needs to be made. Just put it at Top Dead Center, pull the valve cover, and check with feeler gauges.
Thanks a bunch for all the help.....really hoping it wasn’t the stinkin valves😔

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Anytime. Could be either. They’re easy to check and not all that difficult to shim. It doesn’t necessarily mean they need to be replaced. Just better to make sure they’re not the problem before you go pulling your hair out with the carb.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
You could try a 27.5 if you can find one, but I doubt it will help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts