Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy, made my intro post, now onto some questions. Today I purchased my first quad, a 2006 LT-Z250. The top of the engine was already apart. It was a repair brought in 2 years ago to a local small engine shop. They diagnosed it, and the customer never returned, so it sat all that time. I pulled the jug off and the bottom end turns freely. My four wheeler friend at work looked it over and said he believes the bottom end is ok. I noticed the crankcase is very low on oil... it was black, and the cylinder scored. The shift linkage is also very stiff....possibly from sitting? Cylinder head looks ok and I believe a valve lap/cleaning and new valve seals will be ok. So.....should I split the case and inspect the insides? Or, will everything be ok with a top end kit, an oil and filter change, and some running time? This is a project for me and the kid this winter....I'm not concerned about how long it'll take we just want everything to be right. Any other advice on what to look for while repairing it would be appreciated! The valve cover assembly is missing, so if anyone has one for sale at a great price......let me know!

· Administrator
3,991 Posts
Not familiar with these. Do they have an external oil tank like the z400? If not, the low oil and black condition plus sitting, would have me concerned about the bottom end, and the cam lobes/journals. At least it turns freely..

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not familiar with these. Do they have an external oil tank like the z400? If not, the low oil and black condition plus sitting, would have me concerned about the bottom end, and the cam lobes/journals. At least it turns freely..
No....does not have external tank. It's a wet sump, shared with the gearbox. The cam is in the box, it looks ok. The valve cover with the rocker arms is missing though...need one of those. I decided I'm going to pull the engine off the frame so I can powerwash the rolling chassis....I'll probably end up splitting the case on my basement workbench just to check everything. After reading, I think this is the same 250 engine as the Ozark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts