Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I'm having some issues with my Z400, it ran OK (not great) until the point when I fell off it in pretty grand style, since i've replaced a few things (bars, starter motor, oil & filter, spark plug, throttle cable).

I've been out on it once since but it would NOT start with the starter motor, it would bump if you gave it enough effort but soon after the throttle stuck wide open (cable frayed) and I parked it up until now when i've managed to get a new cable.

One thing I did notice, is that one of the wires to the throttle position sensor is pulled out of the connector, but I cannot find a wiring diagram that includes it to find out what it is meant to be, because it is loom side of the connector I was tempted on either bodging it for now to make sure i've got no more problems, or cutting the connector out completely and just soldering the wires in its place.

Could anyone please shed some light on this? It is getting very frustrating, and I want to make sure I haven't got a bigger issue as to it not starting (just keeps spinning over) than this wire.

Thanks,

James.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your valves might need adjustment or replacement.

The TPS isn't a big deal. A lot of people disconnect it.
Oh really? It will run with it disconnected? Having stripped it down a little more it would appear my petcock is faulty (amongst other things!!), i've had it to bits as far as it'll come (The spring seat underneath the vacuum stop valve won't come out though?) and cleaned it out. If I suck on the vacuum pipe with it apart I can open the valve in the face, but if I put it all together I cannot open the valve inside the body itself so I think something is seized in there that I cannot get to.

I'm doing my best to get hold of a Raptor 660 (is that correct? part number 5LP-24500-01) stopcock although it is a nightmare to source parts where I am.

I have an old KTM 250 that is used as a parts whore here, robbed the stopcock off that but unfortunately there is no way I could use it, as the mounting bolts are different and there is only one gauze filter dropping into the tank.

Cheers!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I hope this helps...I'm attaching a wiring diagram that covers your 06 model with the TPS. Sorry it's in Spanish! It's the only accurate diagram I could find showing the models with a TPS. It's in the upper right hand corner of the diagram, labeled 'Sensor de Posicion del Acelerador'.

The TPS is just a variable resistor that is attached to the throttle butterfly on your carb. The blue wire is one side of the resistor. The TPS is not going to be functional without it. You can run without the TPS, though I would recommend leaving it, as your CDI box takes the throttle position as an input, and gives you more accurate timing when it knows the throttle location.

It looks like the blue wire pulled out of the pin in the connector, probably a bad or weak crimp. You can use a small flathead screwdriver to lift the tab in the connector and remove the pin, and then you can solder the blue wire back onto the pin and put it back in the connector. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
So I hope this helps...I'm attaching a wiring diagram that covers your 06 model with the TPS. Sorry it's in Spanish! It's the only accurate diagram I could find showing the models with a TPS. It's in the upper right hand corner of the diagram, labeled 'Sensor de Posicion del Acelerador'.

The TPS is just a variable resistor that is attached to the throttle butterfly on your carb. The blue wire is one side of the resistor. The TPS is not going to be functional without it. You can run without the TPS, though I would recommend leaving it, as your CDI box takes the throttle position as an input, and gives you more accurate timing when it knows the throttle location.

It looks like the blue wire pulled out of the pin in the connector, probably a bad or weak crimp. You can use a small flathead screwdriver to lift the tab in the connector and remove the pin, and then you can solder the blue wire back onto the pin and put it back in the connector. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope this helps!
Here is an English version of that diagram if it helps. 05-06 were the same as far as I know in the harness aspects. You'll get it, just keep at it!!!

Attachments

Reactions: spize909
1 - 6 of 6 Posts