Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a nother thread on this but not all my questions were answered.
I found an 08 z400 for 3 k with not too much miles on it, and the 2009 models are always atleast 4k used, im wondering that since if i upgrade the 08 it will be cheaper, could i put an efi in? Is that whT a cherry bomb is? I havent delt with atv maintenance yet or carbs for that matter either, so the 2009 efi model sounds easy , i wouldnt be able to upgrade it without buying a new efi controller. How easy is jetting carbs? And is that a good deal for 3 k? How much will it cost to upgrade the 08 with a full exhaust and whatever type of controller i need to make it faster than the 09?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I saw a nother thread on this but not all my questions were answered.
I found an 08 z400 for 3 k with not too much miles on it, and the 2009 models are always atleast 4k used, im wondering that since if i upgrade the 08 it will be cheaper, could i put an efi in? Is that whT a cherry bomb is? I havent delt with atv maintenance yet or carbs for that matter either, so the 2009 efi model sounds easy , i wouldnt be able to upgrade it without buying a new efi controller. How easy is jetting carbs? And is that a good deal for 3 k? How much will it cost to upgrade the 08 with a full exhaust and whatever type of controller i need to make it faster than the 09?

From what I understand, your asking if you could switch from carbed to EFI.

Answer: Yes, you could. It would cost more than the difference you would pay between the two different machines, and be a lot of work from what I understand. If you want EFI, buy a machine that has it already.

Question: How hard is it to jet a carb?

Answer: It's not that hard if your careful and have some mechanical skills. Also know how engines works is very important or you will have a hard time making it run right.

Question: Is that what a cherry bomb is?

Answer: I am assuming you are referring to a LTR 450. I don't own one, but if you search on here you will know. This is not something that works with the LTZ400.

Question: How much will it cost to upgrade the 08 with a full exhaust and whatever type of controller i need to make it faster than the 09

Answer: You need to read more about the machines.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
The 09 and 08 should be comparable in stock form. There are way more mods for the 08 since the design has been around a long time. It's really about personal preference. Jetting is easy.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Buy the 08'. The 09' has some frame and suspension differences, but in the end I "personally" don't think its enough to validate the change especially if your not planning to race it heavily. There are more parts avail. for the 03-08' models, its MUCH cheaper to modify (No EFI), and as you have found you should be able to find the older model cheaper. I raced against a couple 09-up Z400's the past two seasons and no way was my machine at a disadvantage. In some I was at the advantage, but for the weekend rider who doesn't wanna dump a ton of money into it the 03-08' machine is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I purchased a new '09 last year before the start of the new race season. I was (and still have it for sale) racing an '06 which I put alot of extras into. Although I really liked my '06, the only reason I went to the '09 was for better starts which is everything in racing. I'm not saying my '06 didn't always start, but not a well as my '09. I even tried putting on an Edelbrock carb but there's nothing like fuel injection. I also have alot better throttle response with the '09. The bottom line is that either machine would be a good choice. It really is a matter of how much you want to spend and what type of riding you're planning on doing. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I understand, your asking if you could switch from carbed to EFI.

Answer: Yes, you could. It would cost more than the difference you would pay between the two different machines, and be a lot of work from what I understand. If you want EFI, buy a machine that has it already.

Question: How hard is it to jet a carb?

Answer: It's not that hard if your careful and have some mechanical skills. Also know how engines works is very important or you will have a hard time making it run right.

Question: Is that what a cherry bomb is?

Answer: I am assuming you are referring to a LTR 450. I don't own one, but if you search on here you will know. This is not something that works with the LTZ400.

Question: How much will it cost to upgrade the 08 with a full exhaust and whatever type of controller i need to make it faster than the 09

Answer: You need to read more about the machines.
Thank you ridin 343, i assure you i will be reading more and more everyweek about the machine. I was going for a ltr450 and realized its not worth the maintenance unless your actually racing.
Im reading about the engines everyday to know more , and my uncle is a mechanic so im sure he can help. Ive chosen the 08 since im only going to be riding for recreation. Thanks everyone for your opinions, im gonna go look at the other threads for info.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I purchased a new '09 last year before the start of the new race season. I was (and still have it for sale) racing an '06 which I put alot of extras into. Although I really liked my '06, the only reason I went to the '09 was for better starts which is everything in racing. I'm not saying my '06 didn't always start, but not a well as my '09. I even tried putting on an Edelbrock carb but there's nothing like fuel injection. I also have alot better throttle response with the '09. The bottom line is that either machine would be a good choice. It really is a matter of how much you want to spend and what type of riding you're planning on doing. Good luck with your search.
See now I had the exact opposite results. I could beat the fella on a full race setup 09' Ltz400 to the first turn every single time last season. The EFI Z400 does not start as fast as a properly setup carburated Z400.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It would feel better if you are used to riding a ltr, but otherwise the 1st gen style is your best bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts