Suzuki Central Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes I have read it several times, but it didn't answer all questions on how this is done. For people who haven't done this before the information is VERY VAGUE. I am just trying to get info in one thread where a person can read and be able to complete with limited skills. I used to be the guy who didn't know anything so just trying to help.

Whats this in response to?

·
Registered
64 Posts
woodsrider

Yes... thats all they are really. Just attachments to get the stock air hose to properly fit the hole on the side of the 400ex tube. As stated earlier in this thread you could just run the air hose down to the tube like you would the stocker, but then you would need to clamp it and put a little silicon on it to keep it from leaking (the hole on the side of the 400ex tube is larger than the one on the stocker). The parts that I listed eliminate having to do that.

Woodsrider:

Picked up those parts you listed from autozone, now I know what you mean. Still not really sure what the connector is for, although i bought it because it was cheap. Please let me know so I can get this together.

Matt

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I meant there is no specifications for cutting the boot "vague." I also know that every machine is different. I am an engineering/design student and when doing something new like having all the specs. I know when I cut it it will turn out alright, but the information that would be nice to have is how much is cut off both sides.

I can't wait to get this done and see what the gain is. Have heard good results and it looks like a difference between black and white. Basically what is gonna happen is I will have spent 3 weekends messing with jetting, get it right, then switch it out and do it all over haha.

Reading that other thread gave me enough positive influence to buy a 400ex boot so now I am just figuring out all the details to install.

Wasn't trying to rip on the other thread for not being complete, just was saying it's not a DIY for someone who has no idea what they are doing. I will take some pics when I do mine and hopefully I can get some more complete info from mine and other threads.

Thanks for all you guys help, soon will have my info on here...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Woodsrider:

Picked up those parts you listed from autozone, now I know what you mean. Still not really sure what the connector is for, although i bought it because it was cheap. Please let me know so I can get this together.

Matt

My response before was to woodsrider. I looked many times at that thread but still had some questions. It's rare for me to actually do a lot of research before diving in, but this seems like a little work after dry fitting without cutting

·
Registered
64 Posts
My question is to woodrider or anyone that wants to answer...

What is the connector for? The hose goes right into the boot, but im not sure what the point of the connector is. I assume i have to buy wider hoses, and two hoses feeding into and out of this connector. Can someone PLEASE explain?

Matt

·
Registered
64 Posts
The connector replaces the factory pcv hose connector in the intake boot, in the 400ex boot the hole is larger than the factory z400 boot. Larger hose will also be needed.

What was recommended to purchase was both the connector (a straight piece with two openings) as well as the plastic elbow shaped piece that fits into the 400ex boot and the other end slips into the hose.

thinking about it I think the actual straight connector is just to fit the stock hose coming from the black box into the connector and out of other side you need to buy the wider hose to enter the elbow piece that enters the boot.

Sound right?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
quicksilver- yes, that pretty much is what its for. Your factory hose connects to the small end of the straight connector, a heater hose connects the big end of the straight connector to the elbow, and the elbow plugs into the hole on the side of the 400ex intake tube.

ridin434- I never wrote a DIY on the 400ex tube install. Ive only replied to two other threads on questions people have had about this mod. Most of these questions are the same that you have asked. And most of the info Ive shared with others came from this site originally anyway.
As for where to cut the tube... its a trial and error deal, different carbs and airboxes are gonna call for different style/length intake tubes. Cut a little off at a time, you can always take more off but you cant put it back on, lol. And if you never saw the pic of where I made my cuts, here it is again...

View attachment 6278

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I know all machines are different, but kind of a baseline dimension would be awesome for everyone. If someone had the info and could fill in the ??? it would help a lot of people. I just need to start cuttin and stop askin questions!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
what about the top part on the 400 ex boot? did you have to cut that off for it to fit on? i dont really like to hack my stuff but if its the only way...
Yes, you have to cut it off. It's only hacking it apart if you've got a 400ex, you're simply modifying a part to make it fit your z400.

Reactions: spize909

·
Registered
6 Posts
Food Ingredient Hood Cuisine Beef

I moved the breather hose with an Uni filter into my airbox. I used a 3/4" pex plug to fill the hole on the 400ex boot with a zip tie. I usef and old outwear and made my own pre filter as well

21 - 34 of 34 Posts