Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into doing a 434 bbk and hot cams with a better than what i have now exhaust. im just woundering if anyone can give me an idea as to what to expect for power and torque output and how you feel its going to do against the 450s in my class. as of now i can out corner them but they can just get me as we enter the next corner and block me. i have won allready a few times but that was pushing it hard and setting them up in the corners most times 2 laps ahead of when i make my move. im just looking for that little extra to help me down the strights, thats y im thinking the 434 and not something like a 460 or 470 bbk. power means nothing unless you can transfer it to the ground so...lets hear some input...maby even see some numbers..

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
What about some head work, an FCR and a good CDI..............and then do the BBK.
I'm far from an expert though. I just don't think the bbk makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
bbk is good if you have cams. and for the racing you do which is mx? i think you need bottom end for the because of the short straights. id do bbk a small one because it sounds like your keeping up but need a little extra umph. bbk. cam. better exhaust depending on what you have. fci like spize said and deff a good cdi dynatek hands down. even a p&p. lower your sprocket tooth down to a 13t maybe if your not runnign that. too many things to list that would help

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Whats your mods list as of now?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i race flat track but yeh the strights are short enough that we dont clear 3rd gear. my motor mods as of now are....

guts- stock (for now)
exhaust- full dg x2
intake- edelbrock carb with a dial a jet
rev box- dyna
gearing- 13-36
air- k & n filter with very little air box left

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I'm curious to hear the opinions. I made the jump myself and am waiting for my BBK to come Monday.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had a 434 bbk, hotcams, fcr 39mm, velocity intake full hmf exhaust, and mine would keep up with a pipe jetted and cam mod and k&n yamaha 450. I still need a little more power for this year because that yamaha has a duncan engine in it this year.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i have the 434 with oshc,rossier exhaust,stock carb and intake (soon to change) and stock gearing (14-40?). i run with other 400's though. i smoke all them easy. the only one that gives me any problems is an ex with port work 416 kit and BIG cams. he's also a little bit better rider than i am too. thinking of trying the 450 class tomorrow and see how i do. i would deffinatly do it again,i would not go with new style hot cams. i have more bottom end than i need now with the slightly bigger oshc. i will be going to a bigger web cam next year most likely and possibly a simple 470. good luck and keep us updated. oh check out advatage cycle. great prices and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
From where your at now, I'd say +4 if you can do the work with the big bore. If money is an issue, wait on the cams, you DO need them but they can be dropped in at any time. Right now you are real close to stock gearing, you may want to change that with more mods.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i know cylinder works says that with their 434 bbk and their +4mm stroker it bumps you up to a 470. i know that setup would be way more than enough but way i think of it is if you increse the bore and or stroke, you should also do the same with the amount of air you are pulling in and pushing out? lol SO wouldnt you want to do the cams when you do a bbk?

now i did happen to find this kit offered on ebay for a price that really makes me start to think. look at what you get for $999 with free shipping

this 465cc Big Bore Stroker Kit. It includes:

94mm Cylinder Works Big Bore Cylinder
Vertex 94mm 11.7:1 Piston Kit

Hotrods +4mm Stroker Crank (True & Weld available for $50)
Hotcams Intake and Exhaust Cam Set (Webcams also available for more $)
Hotrods Main Bearings
complete upper and lower gasket sets

whats your feelings on this as an option

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OR.............................

i can do this kit for $1350 and get kibble valves? take a look

This 465cc big bore stroker kit is the ULTIMATE in power for your Suzuki LTZ400. It fits on all years and includes:
  • 94mm Cylinder Works Big Bore Cylinder
  • 94mm 12:1 Vertex Piston Kit (JE or CP piston available for more $)
  • Hotrods +4mm Stroker Crank
  • Hot Cams Camshaft Set (Webcams available for more $)
  • Kibblewhite +1mm Black Diamond Intake and Exhaust Valves
  • Kibblewhite Race Valve Spring Kit with Ti Retainers
  • Hotrods Main Bearings and Seal Kit
  • All necessary top and bottom end gaskets

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I would get rid of the edlebrock carb and go fcr without the dial-a-jet.

Go Hi-comp, wether it be a big bore or not.

Definatly do cams and a 400ex boot.

In what rpm range do you sepnd the most time?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hitman if your going to put the stroker and bbk kit in you need the air flow, Not only would I put the fcr, bigger cams, I would get that head p+p. And if all your doing with it is flat tracking it why not get rid of the airbox and run a open one for more air. I wouldn't even mess with the stroker crank. bbk with I comp piston, p+p on the head, bigger cams than nshc and a fcr, you shouldn't have any problem with that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there isnt much left to my air box lol...enough to hold the cdi box and the air filter on...thats about it lol. i see alot of people doing the 400ex boot mod...is there really that much of a difference? also if i just did the 434 kit and kept stock stroke with hot cams and hi comp piston and got the new head P&P whouldnt i also want to put bigger better valves in it as well? right now im torn between 2 options. 1) do i rebuild my motor for around $600-$900, but also have to still deal with my tranny issues (who knows the cost of that yet)...or 2) continue on with trying the the rmz450 swap, spend $1800 on complete bike and have a good strong motor (as is) with a good tranny but have twice the labor in having to make all new motor mounts? hmmmmmmm which way to i go...lol...ill drop that edlebrock carb for an fcr is someone is looking to trade...lol...no funds to do that now.....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Here is what I would do...
Get rid of the stock intake and put an FCI, ESR or Velocity intake or at the very least a 400ex boot.
I would swap the Eddy for a bigger 40mm FCR carb off a trx 450, you can get it for under $100 if you are lucky. I got mine for 85 shipped.

Next for engine work you would have to do everything at once except for the cams.
Send the head to kfxguy for porting, he can do a great port job for an extremely low price.
Kibblewhite valves - $100
DRZe valve springs - $48 shipped (partspitstop.com)
Hotrods +4 crank - $255
+4 CW bbk - $395 or get a +4 cylinder and a CP or JE high compression piston.
Total $800 + whatever kfxguy charges you, I don't know how much he will charge you but even with the port job you might still be under $1000
If money is an issue you can add the cams later...
Webcams 540/539 cams or if you or ask them to make you a 539/539 grind. I think they are $435 new?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i know cylinder works says that with their 434 bbk and their +4mm stroker it bumps you up to a 470. i know that setup would be way more than enough but way i think of it is if you increse the bore and or stroke, you should also do the same with the amount of air you are pulling in and pushing out? lol SO wouldnt you want to do the cams when you do a bbk?

now i did happen to find this kit offered on ebay for a price that really makes me start to think. look at what you get for $999 with free shipping

this 465cc Big Bore Stroker Kit. It includes:

94mm Cylinder Works Big Bore Cylinder
Vertex 94mm 11.7:1 Piston Kit

Hotrods +4mm Stroker Crank (True & Weld available for $50)
Hotcams Intake and Exhaust Cam Set (Webcams also available for more $)
Hotrods Main Bearings
complete upper and lower gasket sets

whats your feelings on this as an option
I didn't mean not to do cams or intake, I was just saying, get the deep internals done at once, and the cams will drop in easy.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
chinoduca where do you find kw valves for 100? the cheapest ive seen was on ebay for 120? i believe

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeh i got what ya ment lol...just saying if i can do it all at once then y not lol...just not sure what way i should go with the motor lol so many options

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
from what youve said you are keeping up with the 450s which means you dont need much done. just do some of the simple things listed instead of going spend all kind of money on a bbk and stroker and other things. a simple fcr upgrade better exhaust and a few other small things will put you ahead. for exhaust try barker, sparks, and rossier. from what ive read those are the ones that give you the most gain. if you dont want to fight the fci do a velocity intake system and just relocate you cdi box. simple and a huge gain

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just talked with a guy that has been running a Z all year at nationals and a few local races. He is running the pro money class and all he said he has done is....

fcr carb
no air box
k & n filter
custom made intake
sparks full exhaust
high comp piston
hot cams
c12 fuel

says that he has no problems making a pass on any of the 450s in the class with him. on larger ovals its a little harder but to make up for it he just swaps gears and then its no longer a problem. so now that ive heard that it adds another wtf do i do to my list lol...................thoughts?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts