Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am brand new to this site and a beginner when it comes to the talks. First wanna say t.y I have been reading some to get info with my 03 suzuki ltz400 quad-sport.bought it a year ago and love the bike . I have recently started getting a tic since winter started here in Michigan. I checked valve clearances, swapped out acct with mcct.did full tune up . Checked timing. And cam chain seams to be ok still. I ordered a k&n hiflow airfilter fmf blowout exhaust. D.i.d cam chain. And a dyno jet carb kit stage 1-3. Soon to get intake an exhaust hot cams. And wanting to install athena 440 BBK. Not only to get more low to mid range power but to get rid of that annoying tick. So my question would be sine I'm new to mods would the be anything else I need to do inorder to get BBK to do its job. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like your on a good path to building a nice ltz. I would recommend upgrading your valves and springs, a FCR carb and 400ex intake boot. But the Carb upgrade will be the biggest benefit you can get.

As far as the ticking noise, if its really bad then more then likely it the cam chain or valve slap from the cams hitting the valve buckets due to the valves been out of spec but usually the tighten up rather than get loose. Most LTZs that I've been around and worked on always have a tick. Even the KFX and the DVX have a tick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your on a good path to building a nice ltz. I would recommend upgrading your valves and springs, a FCR carb and 400ex intake boot. But the Carb upgrade will be the biggest benefit you can get.

As far as the ticking noise, if its really bad then more then likely it the cam chain or valve slap from the cams hitting the valve buckets due to the valves been out of spec but usually the tighten up rather than get loose. Most LTZs that I've been around and worked on always have a tick. Even the KFX and the DVX have a tick.
Yea I herd that too. Valves are perfectly in spec. I really appreciate the input. I'm super new to the mods and don't know a lot about what needs done. New cam chain Goin in this week . Just getting back into all the riding after 10 years but I love the z and love these fourms

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yea I herd that too. Valves are perfectly in spec. I really appreciate the input. I'm super new to the mods and don't know a lot about what needs done. New cam chain Goin in this week . Just getting back into all the riding after 10 years but I love the z and love these fourms

Heck ya I've been away from riding for about 7 years and just got back to riding. I rebuilt my 03 Z this past summer. It sat in boxes for all those years.

If you do drop in a new cam chain, I'd swap atleast some DRZe dual valve springs in it if your running HotCams. The Zs valves are weak if your running stock ones.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Advantagecyclelc.com sales those springs for like 50$ just some extra insurance with those.

Reactions: Sidingking
1 - 5 of 5 Posts