Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m having issues, with my 97 king quad 300 ltf4wdx, the oil temp light comes on. Almost everytime I start it up and let it idle, I’ve cleaned the oil cooler, I’ve checked all lines, there isn’t any obstructions, for the oil not to flow freely. The oil cooler doesn’t seem plugged up or dirty. It’s not running lean. I’ve replaced the temp sensor twiced and still no change. There isn’t a winch, or any other accessories added to the quad either. So nothing is blocking the oil cooler from getting air, any ideas??

·
Administrator
3,882 Posts
I'm not sure how that thing is set up, but is it possible your oil pump is not putting out full capacity? On the Z400 there is an internal screen in the cases that can become clogged. Not sure if the 300 did something similar. My 88 250 FWD had no oil cooler on it. Not sure when they added that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how that thing is set up, but is it possible your oil pump is not putting out full capacity? On the Z400 there is an internal screen in the cases that can become clogged. Not sure if the 300 did something similar. My 88 250 FWD had no oil cooler on it. Not sure when they added that.
I cleaned the oil screen, out a while back and it didn’t seem to help it. I had in a shop, a few months ago, and they tested everything , said compression, leak down test, everything was good on it. Surprisingly so I’m not sure what wrong with it.

·
Administrator
3,882 Posts
Not sure what else you could do. If the fins are clear in the cooler, the only thing I can think of is to try and richen it up with the fuel screw, try to cool it a bit that way. You might be able to simulate that with the choke, but I think that jacks up the idle, so may not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what else you could do. If the fins are clear in the cooler, the only thing I can think of is to try and richen it up with the fuel screw, try to cool it a bit that way. You might be able to simulate that with the choke, but I think that jacks up the idle, so may not work.
Yea , carb is set perfectly, it idles and runs great, just throws that light, after so long of running it, and that includes riding it. I know it has to be overheating, but not sure why, exhaust isn’t plugged up or anything either. I’m thinking I might just have to rebuild the motor maybe. Which I’ve never done or know anything about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
That’s the quad I’m working with. It was my grandpas he bought it new in 97 and he passed in 2011 which is why I’m trying to keep it going.

·
Administrator
3,882 Posts
Other than a piston seizing up causing more heat, the only other thing I could think of is clogged enging cooling fins, but that is kind of obvious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other than a piston seizing up causing more heat, the only other thing I could think of is clogged enging cooling fins, but that is kind of obvious.
Yea, which I’m sure, piston is not seized up, and I know cooling fins are clean. It runs fine just overheats for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts