Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allright, this years racing season has come to an end and its going to be time to start tearing the Z down for a rebuild. while im in upgrading with some goodies (if i dont sell it first lol) i was just woundering a few things...

1) is there a way to strip down the wiring harness for the Z and have it set up to run the bare amount? i havnt really had any problems with wiring but hey, the less you have the less that can go wrong right? if anyone has done this or know where i could go to find out send me the link

2) what is the real difference between the fcr39mm and the fcr40mm? if i end up keeping it, im planning to go with a 470 stroker kit, hot cams, full sparks exhaust, and have my head port and polished. With all those mods am i really going to see that much of a difference between the 39mm vs the 40mm?

3) is there a way or a kit to remove the reverse from the trans? not having to turn the extra gear would save on rotating weight on a allready heavy motor. If not can the reverse switch be disconected and not used to make use of the hole in the plastics for something different?

im sure ill come up with some more questions and ill add those as i go, but for now lets just start with these. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
IMO
#1- I don't thing it would be worth ripping in to the harness, I don't think there is much weight to save there and most of the wires you need other than getting rid of the blob.
#2 1mm isn't going to make a huge hp difference, and you can also have a 39 bored to 40 if you want. You have to know what you want because when your head is ported it will be opened up to match your carb. Pm me if you want a local number to have the head done, he is about 4 hours from you if you want to meet up with him.
#3 can't help on the reverse other than pointing out it would be a big problem selling a z400 with no reverse. There is a process yoshi can do to your tranny to polish the gears but I don't know much about it? I'm guessing it's not cheap!

One last thing, I think hot cams in that build would be a bad choice. Good luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
You have to take the reverse gear shaft completly out. I dont have first or reverse, makes a difference

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dylan- that was my thought as well...so your saying it can be done? do you by chance know where i can find out the way to do that?

slinger- can the same guy that does the head work also port a 39mm to a 40mm? and as far as the cams go...hot cams come with the kit im looking at. I can upgrade to web cams but its going to cost more to do that. i wasnt looking at the gutting the harness for weight savings, but more or less to get rid of any unecessary electrical wiring to help prevent any issues down the road lol...

·
Registered
433 Posts
zookie400 could prob help with the reverse question

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey mike i see in your sig that you did the raptor petcock mod....and ive seen alot of guys doing that as well. Is that something i should deff do im in going to move up to a fcr39 or 40mm?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes its a must! well if you don't want to run on prime all the time and have no reserve

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i deff dont want reverse lol!!!!!! as far as prime...lol seems to work just fine lol ran it that way all year no problems?? but i was just woundering if it mattered as far as the amount of fuel it sent to the carb if i put the fcr on? would it be more or the same?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
With the petcock that comes stock on the Z it doesnt have off as a setting. It has prime, reserve, and on. With the raptor petcock mod you have off and not prime. When your bike is sitting and you forget to take it off prime it wont over flow the carb. And yes i would recomend with the fcr

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeh thats a problem that i had a week ago...the fuel flooded the carb and when i tried to fire it it overflowed into the motor and i had to change the oil to get her to run lol....so deff getting one of these now lol

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
It may be just me, but I think deleting the reverse sounds a little silly. Yea I'm one to go with everything counts, but I don't think the reverse gear is spinning anyway when your going forward is it? Plus you may lose a couple lbs, but sounds like lots of trouble for not alot if gain. I guess you can do what you want, but there are plenty of easier ways to go faster. And trust me, I don't have any problems beating up on 450's, 525'5, 510r's, 660's and 700's....and even a built 900cc renegade. Good combo makes a difference and hot cams sure ain't the way to go.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeh thats a problem that i had a week ago...the fuel flooded the carb and when i tried to fire it it overflowed into the motor and i had to change the oil to get her to run lol....so deff getting one of these now lol
The petcock shouldn't have anything to do with your motor flooding. It just allows the flow of gas into the carb. Sounds like your float could be stuck or not set right.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i fixed that fuel problem already lol...and i dont have problems well to many problems beating up on the 450s either lol...but rotating weight is rotating weight not matter how many lbs it is...and considering the fact that ive had the Z 6 months and have not used the reverse once lol...i agree with dylan...race quads dont need reverse or first for that matter...lol i dont trail ride it...just race...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts