Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know where the black hose at the top of the carb connects to. The hose I'm talking about has a 45 on the end or and elbow. On the Right facing the quad.. topside of the carb. There is a hose that comes out of the top of the carb. Can someone please tell me where it plugs into. I didn't think that it connected to anywhere, but just to make sure. Will someone follow that hose and see where it ends.. Thanks..
I'm still tring to get this damn jet setup right.. Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barelylegal.. I dont think that will effect my jetting will it. It seemed like a vacuum line but I took my snorkle out and now it is just going to read atmosphere temp and pressure. i dont think that will effect my jetting any do you?

I'm getting a backfire.. Right at the 1/4 throttle point is where my problem is, I will get almost a backfire.. As in my whole carb will just jump back from pressure.. I'm not sure what the deal is. Also, when I turn my handlebars to the right all the way my bike will rev up like the throttle cable is being pulled..but i checked it and cant see what would be causing it..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
haha the same thing happened to me. u gotta connect that hose to the fuel switch u will see where it goes on. i did the same thing and it would back fire when i let off the gas and it waouls stall and everything

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fasterz- So in essence the thing has a vacuum leak and that is why it is running like w00ter.. No wonder I couldn't get the damn thing to run right.. I was like w00ter.. The plug was looking great but it was still kinda poping and crackling when i let off the gas. So it plugs into the fuel switch area.. Like where the Pri, On, Reserve is.. I put the bike on Reserve and it started running alot better... I put some 87 octane gas in by accident, and I really dont want to jet until I run that fuel out.. 93 octane will make a significant difference .... I'll see If I can plug that in and get things running again. Thanks for the help.. The laugh is on me this time. i feel like an idiot.. hey thats all part of the learning curve..

·
Registered
399 Posts
when u remove snorkle....u just leave hose that connected to it alone right.....doesnt have to be connected

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whitelightning.. - Well that was my take on it to.. However fasterz says that it should plug into the fuel switch.. I'm not at home to look at my bike to tell for sure.. However Fasterz has described the problems i'm having as problems he faced when he did the same thing. So i'll take a look tonight when I get home... Any other suggestions are gladly considered..

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are 2 hoses coming out near the top of the carb on the right side. One of them is like a 1/4 inch line and the other is about a 1/2 inch. The smaller of the 2 goes to the back of the fuel valve while the other one should be tucked under the seat rail and make sure that it does not have any kinks in it as it equalizes the float bowl with the outside air.

The back firing that you are describing could be from a vaccum leak but since you said that you had cheap gas in it I would suspect that to be part of your problem. I would drain it out and put it in your lawnmower or car. Then put 93 gas in your Z. Only after you do this will you be able to solve the problem.

Like buying a Mercedes and filling it up at Sheetz! Then wonder why it runs like crap! LOL! 8O

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Z400gramps - Then my hose is right.. I thought that hose was suppose to just sit under the seat. I'm going to try with the gas.. I dont think it would it run that bad though.. I could be wrong. I'm going to get some good gas in there and then make sure everything else looks good and see how it runs... Any ideas why the bike would rev up when I turn the handlebars all the way to the right. I cant see the throttle cable binding anyhwere and It doesn't seem to be pulling on it when I turn it but I could be wrong... Any ideas what else might cause this?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Z400gramps - Then my hose is right.. I thought that hose was suppose to just sit under the seat.  I'm going to try with the gas.. I dont think it would it run that bad though.. I could be wrong. I'm going to get some good gas in there and then make sure everything else looks good and see how it runs... Any ideas why the bike would rev up when I turn the handlebars all the way to the right. I cant see the throttle cable binding anyhwere and It doesn't seem to be pulling on it when I turn it but I could be wrong... Any ideas what else might cause this?[/b]
there are 2 hoses, u are missing the connection on the smaller hose (like 1/4 in think) thats why ur haveing the problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adjust your throttle cable where it meets your thumb throttle assembly. Peel back the rubber boot and twist the cable till the idle goes down. (turn handlebars first so that it's revving)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GBskunk.. thanks that is a really good idea, and I'm wondering why that didn't slap me in the face..

Fasterz.. You could be right.. However i think the hose I was thinking of is the larger hose.. But I am having the problem you mentioned so you could very well be right.. It was dark last night but I'll go straight home and take a look.. I'll let you know.. i hope your right because I have been frustrated with getting this thing tuned.

thanks for all the help guys..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.. well all the hoses are attached like they are suppose to be.. The two hoses that are coming off the fuel switch are attached and and seem to be right.. The hose that is not connected is the hose that used to plug into the snorkle. It plugs into the carb right next to the boot from the air box attaches at the very top of the carb. So now i'm really not sure what is going on. The only place i'm having any trouble is 1/4 throttle mark. Right when i hit the 1/4 throttle mark I get a litte hesistation.. When I let off the gas I get just a little pop every now and then. So heres my setup and let me know what you guys think
152.5 main
25 pilot
Alba needle jet on 4 clip. Almost as high as it will adjust.
2 3/4 on the air/fuel screw.- This i have adjusted to no end and cant adjust this hesitation out.

Any ideas, I will mention that I put 87 oct. in by accident. #1
and #2 I moved the fuel switch to Reserve and it really seemed to run alot better. Not sure why. I'm guessing i have a little less than half a tank of gas.

Sorry for the long post.. any ideas.. Big Air.. any help on this one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Zeeper, when you refer to the needle clip being in the 4th groove is that from the top of the needle or the bottom?

Also what kind of jet kit are you using or who made it for Alba? What other mods do you have to your engine or is everything else stock?

My set up is using a K&N filter in a open top box and completely stock exhaust. I used the Dynojet kit and have not had any trouble. This is also the same as the way the instructions said to set it up.

Clip in the 3rd notch from the TOP of the needle(stock nylon and steel washer in place unerd the clip with the other steel washer on top of the clip)

Pilot air jet was untouched.

146 Main jet

3 1/2 turns out on the screw

According to Dynojet if you are sure that you have no vacuum leaks the poppping should be able to be rectified by turning out the air screw out and since you mentioned that you were only 2 3/4 out this sounds likely to be your problem along with that cheap a$$ gas you are trying to tune the motor with! LOL! Get rid of that gas and put some good stuff in there before you drive yourself crazy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pro Circuit T4
Uni Filter - No snorkle, 6 vented air box holes
Silkolene Synthetic
25 fin cooler

I just went back to the beginning and copied this as being your set-up. You have some conflicting problems and they could be added cause to your trouble.

1. Do you have the Uni filter mounted to a pro-flow adapter? If you do did you remove the screen disk from the intake runner that connects to the airbox as this restricts a lot of air flow. If you have a Uni replacement filter and are using the stock holder this is not as good as the other way.

2. You have a race pipe on your machine which needs more air than your current venting system. If your Uni is mounted on a pro-flow adapter then take the lid off and leave it off and see if this helps solve your problem. If it does and you want to run with the lid on then you are going to have to use a smaller main jet as you are running to rich.

3. Uni filters are good filters but they are more restrictive than a K&N with an Outerwear.

4. Oh did I mention change the damn gas!

Keep us posted! LOL!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Z400Gramps.. Your responses are so humorous.. Change the Damn gas!!
I feel like I'm talking to my dad... no offense..
I think you solved my problem though..
I'm on the 4 clip down from the bottom.. However I wasn't aware that the nylon spacer goes under the clip.. I didn't get any instructions with my jet kit from Alba.. i just got the kit.. So... Tell me what you think..
I'm going to put my jet needle on the third clip from the top or right in the middle for the most part and put the nylon spacer under the clip and see if that makes a difference.. That has to be a really lean spot in the range.. You know and I could tell, and I even raised the needle up some more to give it more gas, but I thought the new needle completely replaced the stock setup....So missing that spacer is why i'm running so lean from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle.. my plug is checking fine though.. That just goes to show plug checks aren't always accurate.. Rich on the bottom, lean in the middle and rich on top will yield a good plug reading. However will not mean your bike is running up to par..

To address the filter issue.. I have a stock replacement Uni.. I removed the Snorkle, and added the vents in the top of the box and I'm getting mad airflow.. This setup is getting me plenty of air.. Besides I have to keep my lid on.. I tried to find a median between no lid and a lid.

Thanks..I'll make this change tonight and post you guys on the differences.. It is going to be in the teens tonight here, so I'm going to be one cold .......... Thanks Gramps..LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Z400 Gramps.. I really hope you weren't offended.. I was really only playing however its true.. Someone needs to YELL at me for having 87 oct in there.
At any rate I got the nylon spacer under the needle and it really seemed to help.. I haven't gotten to ride it yet but just in Revving it made a difference the hesistation at 1/4 throttle isn't there anymore.. So I really appreciate your help..

GB skunk - Throttle cable was an easy fix.. It was just hung below my seat.. I had pulled on it a couple of time but when I really got down there and looked it had just gotten caught. It was from playing with the carb and not removing the cable. But all is well now. Thanks for the suggestion however.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No offense taken! I think that it is really a poor business practice for ALBA to be selling products without any instructions! They are apparently getting that jet kit from someone and don't want you to know who so they don't include the instructions.

I am sure that you think you are getting enough airflow with your set up but I bet you would be surprized if you put an adapter in there with a clamp on filter and left the lid off! But let's get you thru this part first! LOL! Did you change the Damn gas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW..what a difference that made.. The bike is running awsome now.. The power is 2 fold.. At this point I think the pilot and needle was a really good upgrade and really help pull all the additional power out of the bike. So i'm going out on a real ride tom.. and will post any additional differences that I find..
So the setup that worked out for me was..
152.5 main
25 pilot
2 3/4 out on the air/fuel
Alba needle on middle clip with stock nylon spacer under clip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts