Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently i had some white exhaust smoke on a ride out on the mountain. I stopped the bike immediately but upon inspection found the head gasket gone slightly, piston scored and barrel scored. I am leaving the head away to machine shop to get skim and overhaul. I have also figured out (thanks to you guys) that i have a hot rods crank & my piston is a Namura (destroyed) Everything else is all stock.

Now i am looking for some advice on new piston, barrel, gaskets, valve springs etc. Would you guys recommend big bore kit? Stock kit? Also might be able to afford some cams if you could advise?

After that, I want to rejet the carb to make the above mods worth while. If you think ive left something out please dont hold back. I am new to this and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of my bike. I am Located in Ireland.
Ok

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Honestly, a big bore and stock bore kit isn’t that much different in price. Might as well go bigger!
Also check your rod play at the crank and wrist pin while the piston is out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, a big bore and stick bore kit isn’t that much different in price. Might as well go bigger!
Also check your rod play at the crank and wrist pin while the piston is out.
Cheers man. Will do. I also forgot to mention that i wont be racing the bike. Just blasting over trails etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
A big bore and the right cams should improve low-end torque. Even better with an FCR39 carb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a bit of an update - ive got myself some stage 1 hot cams and cylinderworks big bore kit.

I am holding back on sending the head to the machine shop as i am finding it impossible to get valve springs. Ive read on here that drz valve springs are a good upgrade, but when i mention this to the parts guys, they look at me like i have two heads! Another parts guy told me if i can get him part numbers for the valve springs i need, he will be able to get them. Can anyone give me DEFINITE part number for the springs i need?Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
If you’re going as far as replacing valve springs, most replace valves as well. The stock ones are known to “cup” and wear out as well as snap off and grenade the engine. If you look at new valves from Ferera, Kibblewhite, Wiesco, etc, they come in a kit with dual-springs.
If you insist on keeping the old valves, just order the springs for the same year DRZ400.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you’re going as far as replacing valve springs, most replace valves as well. The stock ones are known to “cup” and wear out as well as snap off and grenade the engine. If you look at new valves from Ferera, Kibblewhite, Wiesco, etc, they come in a kit with dual-springs.
If you insist on keeping the old valves, just order the springs for the same year DRZ400.
Cheers man. I am going to run stock valves for now as i dont have the cash for the ferera valves. My quad is 2007, So do i just ring up suzuki dealer and tell them i want valve springs for a 2007 drz 400 ?

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Yup. They were unchanged for the entire carborated Z400’s life.

·
Super Moderator
3,452 Posts
Hang on, you want springs for the DRZ E model. The lame street models have the same detuned motor we have, and I think the same weak springs. Need the double springs. I'll look up some part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
3,452 Posts
Ok, They kept the dual springs in all the DRZ's. Part Number is 12920-29F00 Carry on ! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts