Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so I just rebuilt my top end on my 05 ltz400, by rebuilt I mean new rings, new piston, new cylinder, I also did the drz kit and tried that diy valve seating kit. Before I did the rebuild it had died at the track and wouldn't start. I let it sit for a year and half while I was at college and my summer project is to get running again, before the rebuild i thought it was a cdi problem so it has a new procom cdi. But heres what I know so far the timing is pretty dead on, the valve lash is in spec, its getting spark and fuel. my only thought is that its still compression related, I also don't have a compression tester for me to rule compression out. I'm out of money at this point and just want to get it running let me know if y'all have any suggestions! Thank y'all and sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If Valves are good, Timing is good, Getting fuel and spark Compression could be the issue, Let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had a Kawasaki bayou 250 that purchased, hadn't run since it was one year old, and it’s 2010! Dealer never found the issue so the owner just let set in the garage corner, after I rebuilt the carb then replaced it and checked it for fuel and spark a 100 times adjusted the valves, they we’re perfect, compression was right on it, it hit mea! I have fuel, compression and spark. But do I have spark at the right time? After testing the pick up coil it was out of range, installed a new one it fired right up and runs like Swiss watch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Valves are good, Timing is good, Getting fuel and spark Compression could be the issue, Let us know.
I recently had a Kawasaki bayou 250 that purchased, hadn't run since it was one year old, and it’s 2010! Dealer never found the issue so the owner just let set in the garage corner, after I rebuilt the carb then replaced it and checked it for fuel and spark a 100 times adjusted the valves, they we’re perfect, compression was right on it, it hit mea! I have fuel, compression and spark. But do I have spark at the right time? After testing the pick up coil it was out of range, installed a new one it fired right up and runs like Swiss watch!
I will try a new pick up coil and maybe even a new stator the wires by the chain are kinda chewed up but shouldn't be the problem right?
By the time i'm done with this quad and it runs it will basically be brand new which will be nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you test the pick up coil?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you test the pick up coil?
The odd thing was it passed the ohm test highlighted in the manual, but failed a cranking voltage check,I had nothing to lose at this point. Threw a pickup coil at it and it paid off, but than at that point I had nothing to lose.
I found the voltage crank test on YouTube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will try a new pick up coil and maybe even a new stator the wires by the chain are kinda chewed up but shouldn't be the problem right?
By the time i'm done with this quad and it runs it will basically be brand new which will be nice.
If you have obvious wiring issues this should be the very first item to address!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts