Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I removing the airbox lid is a VERY common first mod on these Z's, BUT if I ride trail also I will have to worry about sucking in water correct????

That is the reason the snorkel was installed I would guess, to cross deeper water correct????

And it seems you can't just remove and install it depending on the riding that day, since you have to rejet right??

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

·
Registered
773 Posts
ya i dont think it will run right if you dont rejet each time you take the lid off and put it back on. i tried to ride mine with no lid and stock jetting and it ran like crap.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If u get an outwears i think u will be fine. I don't know if the snorkel was made to cross deeper what but for more splash resistance. Yes u do need to rejet and i think its a good mod if u want more power for cheap. U could also buy an outerwares airbox cover for the 400ex, it should fit and it works pretty well.

Later

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does the "Outerwear" covers look like, what is different from stock???

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

·
Registered
773 Posts
it looks like a stocking that a robber would wear to stick up a quicky mart on tv. its just an extra filter for smaller particles that goes over the k&n filter.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you got the outwears for it, and left the air box lid off, it should be fine...just aslong as your not giong to go through really deep water, as long as its below the bottom of seat you should be fine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
im not sure if the outerwear is supposed to help against water

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh OK, I have some similar things called FilterSkins for my KX250.

So am I reading what Zero Z400 wrote above that it was a replacement LID???

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

·
Registered
773 Posts
no it is definately not a replacement lid. if your foot was a filter, the outerwear is a sock.

although i did see somewhere a guy cut a hole, like 4x6" in his airbox lid, and glued a cut open outerwear to the opening, making it like a screen for the airbox.

i would keep the airbox lid on anyway. how much more power could you get with it off? for the peace of mind i have always kept them on my bikes.

if you are able, get a K&N with outerwear and rejet, that would be a better decision. if you are not able, why would you want to risk sucking something into the airbox with the lid off, how would you fix it?

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
wow i didnt know that they made something like that, thats very cool. i was talking about a different guy.

he says it holds up against water. id be a little scared to try i think.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
youll be fine if you dont drive through water higher than the bottem of the seat

·
Registered
794 Posts
I wouldn't go any higher than my tires cuz u might get stuck which is no fun.

Later

·
Registered
837 Posts
Air box lid

I was looking at the lid and noticed that it has what looks like an air direction portion on the lid, that looks like you could put some uni filters or maybe just some one inch holes in the lid directly above that deflector and that looks like that may help keep the water from going directly onto the filter, but be sure to atleast have an outerwears on the filter for the extra protection.
Hope this made sense.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
620 Posts
i noticed that the lid is nice and easy to get off, i took it off at the dealer after fianlly figuring out how to take that seat off, i am used to me yamaha seat, but i finally got it off.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like just the seat comes off, cuz on the 400ex the ack fenders come off and its a pain to get them back on.

Later

·
Registered
773 Posts
ya i remember the first time i took the seat/fenders off of my 400ex, when i put it back on i scratched the hell out of the black pieces around the gas tank, that was a real pain. pretty soon the scratches just blended in with the others but those first ones are always tough.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I also like cuz its simialr to my 90.

Later

·
Registered
48 Posts
When i bought my Z400 the dealer told me put 50mm holes in the air box lid which i did i drilled three in a row above the deflector plate . He also told me to make the exhaust outlet bigger which i did by taking off the end cap which is held on by three allen key bolts and sitting it in a drill press then using an 1"3/8 hole saw to carefully drill the little peashooter end out of the exhaust it is very easy to do and leaves the spark arrestor in place so it is still legal he said it will give me a little more hp and it makes the quad sound like a four stroke should.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts