Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a number of people including myself would like to learn how to rejet our own bikes. With this much demand would it not be worth it for someone to write a visual faq (with pictures) to illustrate how to do this? It would make a nice addition to the site to have faqs like rejetting, adding a full pipe, changing sprockets, etc.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume this picture is with the carb cover off. Is this looking from the top down with the tank off or is this a view from the side of the motor? And if so which side?

http://www.spaguru.net/images/Dsc02149.jpg

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
This is the bottom view...with the cover off. That's where the pilot jet and main jet are located. The main jet is the one on the left...the pilot is the one on the right. Someone help me out...I may have them reversed...but I think I got it right.

You're looking at it from the left side of the quad (if you are sitting on the quad...it's your left). That's the only way to really get to the carb.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is looking at the bottom of the carburater. It has been removed and the bowl has been removed also. The brass jet in the middle of the bigger brass bowl or shroud is the main jet.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Are you guys sure? I think its the other way around, the Pilot Jet is in the brass circle and the main is to the right of it. Pilot Jets are longer and skinnier and main jets are short and more fat. If you pull those the jet in the brass circle is the long skinny one, this is getting confusing.

G

·
Main jet is in the brass bowl as mentioned here already!

Rejetted my KFX400 today and geeeeeeeez, a major headache getting off the float bowl screws as others have mentioned here. I had to use a needle nose vice grip plier (NEEDLE NOSE VICE GRIP) to grab the screw heads and loosen the screws. The brass phillips slots quit even though I used a new, properly sized phillips head driver with lots of pressure. The last screw was so tight I could not even budge it with the vice grips so I drilled the head of it off and then it came out easily. I replaced the brass screws with plain steel cap screw socket (allen head) screws "4mm x 10mm"
puchased at Home Depot. Be sure not to go longer then 10mm or risk damage to carb. Use plenty of anti-seize and be sure to work the screws in and out so the anti-seize coats all well. By the way, did not remove the carb to do the jet change. Loosened clamps and turned the carb. Had to unbolt temporarily the small black box that resides on the other side of the carb. Anyway, jet change was easy BUT nightmare this first time because of brass screws. I might mention Kawasaki uses brass screws as other metal screws will react with the aluminum and kind of weld themselves. MUST use anti-seize on replacement regular steel screws or risk problems. Bill in NY

·
Registered
106 Posts
The brass cirlce is called the jet guard and yes, the main jet is in the brass circle. I just checked the parts diagram at www.kawasaki.com and it clearly calls out the jet in the brass circle as the main jet #130.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I saw the pic I was just confused, how do u get the jet gaurd off,or does it come off?

G

·
Jet guard / Shroud

The jet guard is held in place by the Main jet itself. The main jet screws down in the middle of the guard and thus the jet and guard are fastened in place. You remove the main jet with a flat tip screwdriver.... when you remove the jet the guard come off with it. Be care not to bump into / damage/ push out of wack the 2 floats in the vicinity. By the way, the jet change is very easy for most anyone I would say, so don't be afraid to do it yourself. Do know that first time will be a pain as the float bowl screws will cause you grief. Do have replacement screws ready. Read other notes here for info on the screws, etc..

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
so when I get a new main jet how do I get the guard off the old jet and on to the new jet?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've figured out how to change the main jet but how in the hell do you get to the needle to swap it? Do you have to pull the other side of the carb off as well? I'm confused.

G

·
so when I get a new main jet how do I get the guard off the old jet and on to the new jet?[/b]
That guard is like a bowl with a hole in the bottom it. The jet goes through the hole and fastens onto the carb body. You use a flat tip screwdriver to loosen and remove the jet. With the jet loosend/off the bowl is loose also. Now you just take the new jet, slip it in the hole in the bowl and fasten the jet to the carb body where the other jet came out. Really nothing to it...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ummm ok i figured out i had to take the top off but now it idles real high and when you shut it off it back fires. What did I do wrong? Was I not suppose to move the plastic sleeve from the other needle over to the dynojet needle?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hope this helps...
:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! :wink: Hope it helps people and sorry about the large image. The same image is on my pictures page along with others.

G

·
SpaGuru, Your picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Good job!
My manual shows different jet labeling then your pic??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts