Suzuki Central Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now I’m having problems with the engine getting gas. The fact that I know the carb is dirty as hell. The fuel filter is prolly the same. But it seems to run fine if you switch the fuel dial to prime. It won’t stay running on reserve or on. So I undid the hose from the tank to the carburetor. When the switch is set to “on” or “reserve” no gas comes out of the hose. But when on “prime the gas poles out the hose just fine. A friend of mine mentioned possible sediment in tank or a bad petcock. What’s your thoughts @jetmech25 ?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
The factory petcock sucks. Find one from a Raptor660 and plug your vacuum line. No problems and you’ll now have an “off” setting.

Reactions: Donjay88

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Or does the 660 petcock not even have a spot for the vacuum. Meaning I only got to plug the vacuum hole on the carb itself?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Correct. The new petcock doesn’t have a spot for the line to hook up to.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
That is for the right model, but be careful of the manufacturer. Some of the Chinese knock-off brands Don’t allow enough fuel flow. I would find a factory one, usually about $25-$30.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So gonna go ahead & tear the carb down, clean, & rebuild. Clean fuel tank & install new petcock. I’d really like to tune up the engine tho. You know of any good z400 tune up references?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Cons is you suck dirt and mud into the carb. It’s pretty much required.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Fresh spark plug, clean carb and air filter, and oil change. Checking valve clearance is a bit more in-depth, but that’s about it for tune-ups.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’m replacing the bearings & all the joints in the front end now. Doesn’t seem to be to troublesome. However there is 1 thing in not quite certain of. The lower ball joint??? Is it part of the lower a-arm? Is it not possible to replace without modding? @jetmech25

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
You are correct.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So basically cut the entire lower joint off & fab the piece of that is left to fit a tie rod end.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Pretty much, or go with an aftermarket A arm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’d love aftermarket a arms but for that price I’ll stick with the mod for under $100. Lol. Plus I don’t ever know how to ride well enough to know what to get. I’ll wait till I learn to ride, work, & fix the bike better Before I go buying any $1000 plus upgrades.

Thanks for all the help @jetmech25

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Any idea of how much getting parts sand blasted & powder coated cost? Also which part are worth powder coating & which are a waste?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
No clue.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts