Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I’m new to the forum and quite new to restoring a quad, I got this quad a few days ago online was the only ltz400 could find online that wasn’t too far away.
It’s ran perfectly since I got it however I’ve only messed around on driveway. I stood it up and removed the under panels and jet washed all the dirt and grease from the bottom with the front plastics off and made sure I didn’t spray in the exhaust I tried to start the quad after I had finished up and it just clicked when pressing the start button, after trying multiple times I finally got it to fire and it sat fine running and got hot I decided to ride it into the garage & as I was doing, I stalled it by mistake and it went back to clicking when trying to start.
I had it fire again in the garage but didn’t start and was a one off & it’s been a day now and still does it.

I suspect it’s the starter motor but could I have ruined it by jet washing under it?

I removed the fuse from the solenoid and it doesn’t click at all so I assume the solenoid is good however it does look worn.

Any help would be appreciated on this one as I’m new to quads but have worked on wagons previously so I know how to remove and fit stuff properly besides the engine.

I’m also wanting to paint the frame, I can pain properly with primer and good paint but would I be better off just having them powder coated?

And is it a massive job taking the engine off without breaking anything?

sorry for long post haha
EBC281C3-BA1D-4B57-8B38-2EB9F2F8C2F7.png
7E853E12-FEE5-4258-B5FD-3835150B1A45.png
411FBC1F-A6C2-40A2-88B0-F76E60246216.png

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did u check the voltage on the battery terminals? could be dead battery -try to jump start with another battery...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have a volt meter I’m going to pick one up tomorrow and test that but the lights all still work fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did u check the voltage on the battery terminals? could be dead battery -try to jump start with another battery...
I don’t have a volt meter I’m going to pick one up tomorrow and test that but the lights all still work fine

·
Registered
349 Posts
i whould start there ,low battery could couse that symptomes.
btw u can try jump start from another vehicle(if u dont have multi meter to confirm).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i whould start there ,low battery could couse that symptomes.
btw u can try jump start from another vehicle(if u dont have multi meter to confirm).
So I got a multimeter and checked the battery and had 12v, I then tested the wire from the battery to the solenoid and still had the 12v then I tried to test the wire from the solenoid to the starter motor and only got really minuscule readings if any at all I’m assuming my solenoid is the problem here?

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
Probably. Make sure you test the battery side while cranking to confirm good voltage. Try to tap on the solenoid while cranking see if you can jog it loose, but I would replace it anyway if that worked.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i would take 12v cable straight from the batt to the starter , if it crank/fire up , the solenoid is bad...

·
Registered
4 4wd Honda fourtrax 300, 2 2wd Honda fourtrax 300, 96 Suzuki king quad 300 4x4, 2004 dvx 400,
60 Posts
The same thing happened to me and it turned out it was the starter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts