Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a lot of talk about people on Z's keeping up with Raptors. Have any of you guys raced a Raptor yet and what was the outcome? Last weekend I saw a Z line up against a Banshee and the Z was in the lead until the end of the straight which they should have been in 5th where the Banshee pulled slowly past the Z. This was the outcome the 3 times they raced. The Banshee was stock. Later that day another Banshee raced a Z with a 250R thrown into the mix. This time the Banshee pulled about a bike and a half on the Z down the straight with the 250R at the back wheels of the Z maybe a little further back. The 250R had poor traction though you could tell it just wasn't hooking up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
People say if they get the jump on the Raptor they could pull it through 3 gears but then the raptor could take over, but i think they Z could match top speed with the raptor. The Z did pretty good against the Banshee, the banshee only one becuase of the 6th gear.

Later

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I havent raced a raptor yet, but this summer i plan on racing a highly moded 400ex, or if its late in the summer it will be a 440ex...when we race i will probably have just a few mods...

·
Registered
794 Posts
If its a 440 ur gonna get a beat down! The highly modded might win depending on how many mods u have.

Later

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I havent raced a raptor yet, but this summer i plan on racing a highly moded 400ex, or if its late in the summer it will be a 440ex...when we race i will probably have just a few mods...[/b]
Good luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
a stock z400 really isn't going to have much of a chance against a raptor. why should it? the raptor has 260 more cc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt the Z will win unless it comes down to the rider but even if the Z can stay on the raptors butt i'll be happy. Like Sam said it does have 260cc more. I personally never ridden a raptor and am dying to. I like the quad and think its badass looking. As for racing a raptor i'm sure someone will ask me to race cause there are TONS of raptors where I ride, i'm sure someone will ask me to run against them this weekend and call me a w00ter when I say i'm breaking it in.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes the raptor has 260 more cc, however the Z will be on its ass. The Raptor is detuned greatly. If you mess with the air filter and put on a pipe on a raptor it will put it over 50 hp. The raptor can be a beast. But stock vs stock the raptor is greatly detuned and the z stock is not. THe z is DOHC, the Raptor is SOHC, the z is lighter. You will be surprised stock vs. stock how well the z is gonna do against the raptor. The z out handles it. But once you get it against modded raptors you'll have trouble even if the z is modded. The raptor is mod friendly and simple things add alot of horsepower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have raced my friends stock raptor and before i got the exhaust i took him out through the first 4 gears but he took over on top end. i really like the extra rpms im getting with the new pipe though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I hear you guys saying that the raptor would win because the engine is 268cc bigger...that really doesnt always matter...which would win; raptor 660, or Cannondale Blaze? The raptor is 660cc, but the Blaze is 432cc...and from what i have read in magazines, the cannondale always wins...

·
Registered
794 Posts
You don't get over 50hp, but i think u can like 46 or 48 with the better pipes and airbox mods. (if i remeber right) I'm basing this info on the Dirtwheels pipe shoot out.

Later

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
On a Z, the stock horse power is probably around 35hp (by the different dynos ive seen)...(WHY DID SUZUKI HAVE TO TUNE THE ENGINE DOWN...THEY COULD OF HAD A 50HP QUAD!!!)...a lot of the pipes ive seen add about 7hp on average...with the air box mods and jetting, im guess the total hp would be around maybe 43hp...but thats just my guess...

·
Registered
794 Posts
No offense but ur guess is off buy alot. The most i've seen on a dyno in 3.2 hp. But if u have graphs i would be very happy to be proved wrong :twisted: The Z isn't detuned at all. Te only thing the did was make the cam have more low-mid. I don't know but i don't think the raptor is detuned that much, that 770 in dirtwheels was only guessed to have about 70hp. I don't know about the torwue curve though. But people have ex's with 60 and one guy is getting a 505 and i'm making a guess that he will have around 70hp. there are guess' and opinions not facts.

Later

·
Registered
439 Posts
Guys, all ATVs are detuned. The raptor engine is in a street bike. That engine will go over 100, can the raptor? No way. Pipes on the Raptor add 7-11 hp if i remember correctly from he shoot out. You can do another thing with the air box to add 3hp. All atvs are detuned because those engines can go alot faster then they can stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I raced a Raptor with my Z after 10+hrs break in. I was called a "liar" on atv conn. for my post.

Anyway, I was about to load up my Z to go home when a guy on a Raptor comes up and askes if I want to run them. So we line them up 3 times, the first time from a rolling first gear punch, I smoked(not really) him, start to finish, infront of about 25 of his buds. I'm not shure why I beat him, but I got him by 12 a bike. We ran them again for pass 2 same as above, I pulled him by a little till 4th and he was gradually but steadly pulling away. For pass 3 he wanted to do a standing start(all this on asphalt), I wasn't crazy about this on asphalt, I dont race so I have never practiced hole shots, especially on asphalt but what the heck. As expected, I blew it on take off, almost flipped it 3 times before I got rolling good. He was right beside me the whole time and knew it would not be a good run so we started again. This time I really babyed it off the line and the relult was still the same, he couldn't gain an inch untill we were in 4th, then the 660r starts walking away, nothing the Z can do, just stay tucked and throtle pined.

Anyway, I raced a 400EX,440EX(bad rider), and a Prarie 650, Z ate them all.

That's my R-Z line up, take it anyway you want.

Later...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I raced a Raptor with my Z after 10+hrs break in.  I was called a "liar" on atv conn. for my post.

Anyway, I was about to load up my Z to go home when a guy on a Raptor comes up and askes if I want to run them.  So we line them up 3 times, the first time from a rolling first gear punch, I smoked(not really) him, start to finish, infront of about 25 of his buds. I'm not shure why I beat him, but I got him by 12 a bike.  We ran them again for pass 2 same as above, I pulled him by a little till 4th and he was gradually but steadly pulling away.  For pass 3 he wanted to do a standing start(all this on asphalt), I wasn't crazy about this on asphalt, I dont race so I have never practiced hole shots, especially on asphalt but what the heck.  As expected, I blew it on take off, almost flipped it 3 times before I got rolling good.  He was right beside me the whole time and knew it would not be a good run so we started again.  This time I really babyed it off the line and the relult was still the same, he couldn't gain an inch untill we were in 4th, then the 660r starts walking away, nothing the Z can do, just stay tucked and throtle pined.[/b]
i own a raptor, what I have been hearing that sounds just right. Your telling the truth. Whoeve has not riddin a z or ridden with a z really under estimates them. They haul and have good handling. Gives the raptor a run for its money! 660 is faster but not by much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That was me that caled you a "liar" on atv connection and I replied saying I was just kidding. I was being sarcastic in the respect that that is the main attitude on that site...get it? I am obviously a Z400 fan.
I believed you and pumped my fist to the result.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts