Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrows race is calling for a lot of rain and Im planning on not letting that stop me.

Any tips?
- tire pressure?
- how to keep mud from clogging radiator?
- whatever..

thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
what track are you racing tomorrow? thunder ridge? twister valley? or Unadilla race way?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Go fast :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frozen Ocean tomorrow.. unadilla is an awesome track though

·
Registered
765 Posts
good luck, very interested to see some pics of your quad. how are the stage4's? could only afford the stage3's myself.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
duct tape splash guards!!!

also, if the mud is slick enough dont bother holding the engine wide open. you will do nothing but spin tire and smoke pistons. usually running up a gear and underpowering the wheels will help you get a little more speed.

take the inside line, its always the cleanest and wiped down to hard stuff. all the slop gets tossed to the outside and it will suck you down to a crawl.

aggressive tread obviously helps, but airing them down too much may cause you to bite the sidewall and end up with a flat. air them down a little of course, it will help some.

watch your speed in the corners, you will slide forever into the slop.

between motos make sure you wash your radiator out completely and check your coolant level, its really easy to boil over in the mud and lose half your coolant.

buy some mud plugs for your wheels if you dont have any. a wheel full of mud is HEAVY!

protect your intake from getting muddy. this gets tricky because it can throw off your jetting. its a good idea to know your jetting with a lid on the box, so you can change in a pinch. its so important to keep the water away from the filter because water carries silt in past the filter and dusts the engine.

protect your eyes. double stack goggles...you will be dropping the first pair after the first corner, and the second pair will probably get dropped within the first lap. having 1 or 2 sets of clear safety glasses on underneath helps buy you some time before you are bare eye and crying with mud packed eyelids for a week. use that visor on your head as a roost shield!

have fun...bring extra clothes!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
hmmm never heard of double stacking goggles i usually went the the tare off? seem a bit more logical to me lol. but i like your idea none the less

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
tear offs is what i normally use, but i have found in wet enough track conditions the water just gets right into the entire stack so i will put one on and usually tear it going into turn one.

unless of course i get the holeshot...then i stay clean!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Zookie could you run down your preferences for other gear, preferences of race clothing would be great, from boots and pants to other protective gear you use...

·
Registered
573 Posts
get the holeshot!!
enough said lol

what type of clothes and what not dont matter...get the holeshot and you will be dryer than the a$$ holes stuck behind you lol

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think Zookie hit most of it, (I never heard of anyone double-stacking goggles though!) Anything you can do to maximize traction, both brake and accel : If you have slightly taller rear tires, that might help if the particular track you're running ruts up quickly. You might consider backing off a couple of clicks on front compression, sometimes helps weight transfer for braking traction. In addition to running a gear higher, try rolling the throttle on just a bit slower than normal, once you break loose and start crazy spinning, you're not making any forward speed. Keep the radiator and motor as clean as possible, mud is a great insulator and will cause overheating.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You can try zookie's "secret" to getting more traction at the starts but it's up to him to spill the beans or not :p

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
its not a secret......its just the exact opposite of what most people do on the gate :)

as for gear, i just get wet. some people do the trashbag-t-shirt, others wear actual rain gear. i tried it but found it to be very annoying and just deal with the nasty.

i like shift and thor, i find myself always buying their gear mainly because of the pricing and styling. i use a compression suit instead of a chest protector. its a PITA to put on and off, and i cannot put my jersey on without help over the suit but i really like the feel of it while riding, and it works really well against roost. another bonus is the ability to run your name and number printed on the jersey which i like more than a number plate on a protector.

·
Registered
573 Posts
^ +1.....i raced my first race wearing a compression suit this weekend...ill never go back...it also helps with arm and leg pump....worth every penny i spent on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips Zookie!

The rain actually held off and the track packed down by the end of the first moto. There was a wide open no berm corner after a backstretch that was a foot deep of mud so like you said everyone went inside. I got kicked out one lap and got passed by three people just in that one corner... so yea..

·
Registered
573 Posts
just noticed your in ithaca...should come out this weekend to batavia. having a big flat track and tt race..

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I need to get back up and visit Ithaca. I needs me some DP Dough!

·
Registered
573 Posts
bigigie its not called dp dough anymore.. they sold out..at least the one by alfred state did...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts