Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that the Z motor is a detuned version of the DRZ (bike) motor. Somebody on another forum said that the carb is different (I verified this) and the cams are different.

The DRZ has a 39mm carb. So I assume that the cams ARE gonna be different to compensate for that extra gas coming in. More gas means more horsepower in my book (as long as that gas is efficiently burned).

:?: I wonder what the dyno comparisons are.

If anybody can shed some light on this subject that would be really really cool.

Does anybody plan to do it? Or does anybody know what parts it takes to do the conversion?

I wonder if it's worth it to do the conversion then mod 'em or should we just mod 'em.

If anybody has any dyno results after a few mods....that would be cool too....lol 8)

·
Registered
142 Posts
yea I saw that the carb was visually different while at the showroom floor. Thought about that to being that I see several ex'ers runing XR cams. HMMMM. I bet the drz is close to 40 horse stock, 35 probably for sure. If only difference was carb and cam that would seem like a reasonalbe thing to try as long as Suzuki doesnt want like 700$ for a drz carb, lol. I do now see why the factories detune the quad engines though. I had a 250x stock then mod then highly mod, 350x engine with pipe, rode 250R's and 400ex's. A stock 250x sucks but you know what? It is probably the easiest to ride for a beginer. The 350x engine was easy to ride to, you could make mistakes and the torque would bail you out. The theory ive always heard is that they give the quad engines "torque" with the cam setup which the downfall is lower hp.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They usually always detune the motors (if they take em outta bikes) to put em in quads. Its almost always that way. Its stupid but true. 8)

·
Registered
544 Posts
They probly changed to a cheaper carb and cams so the price wasnt to much. :roll:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did a little looking around on the net to see what i could come up with on whats different from the DRZ400 and the LTZ400 here is what i found. Well there are three dirts bikes. DRZ400E, DRZ400S and DRZ400. The 400e has electric start without the kickstart on it. The 400s is the street legal one and the DRZ400 is the racing one or more of a race bike than the others. It looks like good old Suzuki whent and took the motor off the DRZ400S and put it on the quad. It is the mildest of the three motors. From what i have found out on the bike it puts out 32 rear wheel horsepower and the DRZ400 puts out over 40hp. Here is a web page that list the major motor differnces. http://www.tristatesport.com/drz400sfeatures.htm and here is another helpful web page that tells of a cheap trick to get the commpression up on the LTZ400 http://people.ucsc.edu/~mnelson/drz/DRZ400S.htm as you will see it's not to cheep to change cams and carb. I wish Suzuki would have just put the better motor in the LTZ400. Hope this helps. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ouch! 1200 for a carb is rediculous. nice links.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have read that you can get the intake of the DRZ and buy a FCR carb and it will work. That would be much cheaper. On my 400ex i used the Edelbrock carb and was very happy with it on my modded motor. It was very easy to install and dail the jetting in. I hope the one off the 400ex will work with the DRZ intake. I also have read that just buy usubg a stock 400ex carb you could get over 1hp wich if you figure the cost for a used 400ex carb ($100) to that of a pipe you get more for your money going with the carb.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Why do they detune quads like that? Wouldn't you think they'd wanna get some extra power out of them for the extra weight? I think it's because it's cheaper too. Cheaper parts=bigger profit for Suzuki and dealerships. If anyone makes the carb change, post pics and stuff. That'll be awesome. I do have to admit that I like not having to turn the gas off and on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
ughhh!
No they didn't detune it!
According to DIrt wheels and I believe it to they made it so the engine is tuned up so that it reaches a higher Horse Power at a lower RPM because of the weight of a quad compared to a bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No they didn't detune the motor they just used the mild 400s motor. Didn't you look at the links i posted? If they would of used the 40hp motor this quad would of rocked but now i think it comes up short to meet the hype. It will cost you more than a grand to get 10hp out of this motor where has if they would of used the drz400 motor and just charge a grand more for the quad we would of all been happy. I am not bashing the 400z i am on the waiting list to get the next one here in town and i can't wait.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That really pisses me off. Suzuki should have used the dr-z400e motor so they could could get near the raptors and blow away the ex's. They didn't detune the motor, they redid the cam for more torque.

Later

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
our Z400's are supposed to run on 87??

"The DRZ400S has an 11.3:1 compression ratio, the DRZ400E/Kick has a 12.2:1 compression ratio. Suzuki lowered the
compression on the DRZ400S so that it can run 87 octane fuel. If you want more power spend $40 on the DRZ400E/Kick base
gasket and put it in you DRZ400S. This will give you a 12.2 compression ratio. If you make this change you will have to run 92
octane gas or better."

alright, who wants to be the guinea pig?

·
Registered
384 Posts
the carb on the drz motorbikes is a regular 39mm FCR carb. you can get one for $400 to $500 online. they didnt use this carb cause to keep the cost down. they also used a milder cam.

im gonna go with the 40mm fcr carb, better cam and add a header pipe, and hopefully get the 46hp like gt thunder got from those mods.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out thumbertalk it's a forum for the DRZ dirt bikes there is alot of good info there. What others have tried and and what didn't work. There are many people there that have put the 39 fcr on the drz 400s and said they lost alot of low end thats what i'm worried about. I have heard that the 400z cams are not the same as the 400s cams the 400z are setup for more low end. Well if you swich the cams and go to the 39 or 40 FCR how much low end would you loose? I'm sure if you up the bore to a 436 or 470 that this would not be a issue. I would change the compression to the 12.1 if going to a bigger carb. I also read where just by putting a stock 400ex carb on the 400z that you gain 1hp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts