Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by the parts guy a ltz-400 front sprocket, and a drz-400 sprocket are exactly the same. And i havent seen anyone make a 12 tooth sprocket for the ltz, but they do have them for the drz. so i thought i might get one if it fits. is there any reason they havent come out with a 12 tooth sprocket yet for the ltz.
shouldnt you get even better acceloration then a 13 tooth, and just less top end. i thought a 12 tooth would be great for some woods riding, and mud drags.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I want to put a 15 on myne. I need more top speed. Even after the mods still its too slow. :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think that the DRZ gears are wider and you have to file/grind them down a bit to fit properly to fit... This is why LTZ400 gears are taking so long to come out.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The flange on the DRZ sprockets needs to be ground down so that they'll fit on our atv's. Also, you'll need to use a C-clip to hold it in place.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, it will fit with some modification. You would have to use a "C" clip instead of the two bolt retaining system in which your quad uses now, as the DRZ sprockets don't have threaded holes. My main concern is that a 12 tooth will wear the chain and sprocket VERY quick. For example, lets say with the stock 14 tooth the chain is in contact with 7 teeth at any given time, with a 12 tooth the chain would only be in contact with 6 teeth at time. Also by going with a 12 tooth each chain link will have to flex more to accommodate the smaller radius. If you think about it there may be a reason why there is not a 12 tooth available for the Z. Remember the DRZ bike doesn't produce as much low end as our quads, and only has one small tire to provide resistance. My advise would be to add 2-3 teeth to the back before going with a 12 up front.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I guess someone should mention that you can get a 13T front and a 41, 42, or 43 rear to achieve the affect of having a 12T front.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i re-geared mine according to ALBA. i used a 13front and 41rear and this thing pulls now. it doesn't seem to load up at lower rpms in the woods and acceleration is great. i did loose a little in the top end, but getting there is a blast when you hook up!!! 8O

1 - 7 of 7 Posts