Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. Would just like to find out. What can I do when the gear on my intake cam has shifted. How can I find out what is the original position. Ltz 400. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’ll shift somewhat with cam chain stretch. Not much though. If it’s off by a tooth or more, the chain has most likely reached the end of its serviceable life and jumped the sprocket teeth or it wasn’t installed correctly in the first place. The proper indexing for the stock intake cam sprocket is #3 on top, #2 points to #3 on the stock exhaust cam sprocket, and #1 points straight down.
If you pull the center bolt and spring out of the chain tensioner (assuming you have the stock one), and then carefully remove the tensioner, you can then pull the tensioner to the end of it’s travel, counting the clicks until full extension. That will give you a pretty good indication of how much life the chain has left. Usually 2 clicks or less and the chain should be replaced.
If you did jump the chain, and the cam sprocket does not index correctly, you should probably either do a leak down test to verify your valve seats are in good shape, or remove the head to check for cylinder and combustion chamber damage.

·
Super Moderator
3,363 Posts
If they are hotcams and the gear has shifted, you can send them in to be reset...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts