Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to stick with the Z instead of getting the lt-r, and I wanna beef up the engine so I can hang with the 450's speed wise.

What do you guys think of this kit?

Suzuki LTZ400 Z400 Athena 440 4 94mm Big Bore Cylinder Piston Kit 2003 2012 | eBay

I considered the namura 434 that's on sale for 300 but not sure just how much of a power gain I'd get.

The athena 440 looks much more impressive and I've read that they're pretty reliable if done right.

I won't be ordering one until about march so I have plenty of time for input!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
i really dont under stand why anyone would do a 434 when there are bigger numbers to get . you have to know that in no time at all there is going to be the want of even more power . i say go big and get it over with.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
434 because it's only $300 :p

I want to get as close as I can to 450 without going over. I rode jeremiah jone's 440 a few years back and that thing had some serious pep to it's step which is why I'm looking at the 440. I'm sure he had the crank and a bunch of other stuff done, but I think the 440 would be a decent place to start.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Another option is to get your stock cylinder sleeved and have it bored to 449cc. That's what I'm doing with my other motor. I don't remember what size makes it 450. Someone will correct me but I think it's 95.5mm. Or you can go with a 92mm piston and resleeve along with a +5mm stroker crank and it will be 449. That's what the yosh motors were.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have the Athena kit, for about 4-5years with 0 issues. It is a 434 just like cw and namura. The only downfall is the gaskets are expensive and only come in a complete kit as far as I know!
With that said imo I would do a stroker crank, do the cw plus 4 it will make you 434 as well but it will make more tq. Than the big bore, plus you can freshin up the bottom end and make sure its sound! Then,when you want more power then you can bolt on the bigbore, and cams and make a 450 killer! I did it the other way around and was disappointed with the power out put, but when I installed the crank I picked up 4-5 hp and was very pleased. I dont remeber how much the tq went up but I still say the crank was my best bang for the buck after the basics are covered! Just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
max power makes a 450 kit ;).

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got a lukes racing 450 kit. It's a 95.5 piston. With supporting mods, its better than stock. It's still not enuff... It's fast but in need of more... Go big or go buy big!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a good start, and please have LA SLEEVE do the sleeving for you and not a machine shop. This is what I have and it runs like a mofo :cool:

Suzuki LTZ400 Je Piston 453 Big Bore Kit Z400 LTZ 400 | eBay
Well the idea with the athena kit is that I won't have to do any sleeving, since I can just bolt the head on and call it a day.

I can do all the engine work myself, it's just a matter of what to get first.

Would a stroker crank affect a stock bore in terms of reliability? The engine is 100% stock with exception to the timing chain and I guess the carb if you consider that an engine mod.

Price is somewhat of an issue, I have school to pay for as well :p

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well the idea with the athena kit is that I won't have to do any sleeving, since I can just bolt the head on and call it a day.

I can do all the engine work myself, it's just a matter of what to get first.

Would a stroker crank affect a stock bore in terms of reliability? The engine is 100% stock with exception to the timing chain and I guess the carb if you consider that an engine mod.

Price is somewhat of an issue, I have school to pay for as well :p
No they are reliable, and wont change any reliablility ov the cyl.

·
Administrator
7,781 Posts
434 because it's only $300 :p

I want to get as close as I can to 450 without going over. I rode jeremiah jone's 440 a few years back and that thing had some serious pep to it's step which is why I'm looking at the 440. I'm sure he had the crank and a bunch of other stuff done, but I think the 440 would be a decent place to start.
The 434 kits are cheap and very reliable. The bigger kits that need sleeving can cause some trouble if the sleeve isn't installed right, so if you do go that route, make sure the installer is experienced.

You can get a big bore Z running with and beating some average pipe and filtered 450's but it takes all the supporting mods. Carb, exhaust, cams, drz kit, rev box, intake... I was happy with my 440 till I started building strokers. Now I don't think I'd ever go back unless it was a 12,000 rpm "project" :lol

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol well so far it goes....

Carb ----Check

Exhaust ----Check

Drz Kit ----halfway check!

Intake ----check

Next payday I'm getting the valves and cams most likely a long with the drz springs, and then it's time to save up for the BBK!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Make sure the springs and cams go together.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah but that's $800 bucks + whatever shipping costs. I gotta pay for school too lol. I rather get a 440 for about 500 and then use that 300 for valves and springs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeah but that's $800 bucks + whatever shipping costs. I gotta pay for school too lol. I rather get a 440 for about 500 and then use that 300 for valves and springs.
I feel u on that...school is draining all my money..hopefully when u finish it will pay off..

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motocross on a budget! lol

I don't even know how I'm gonna pay for the trip to thundercross in a couple weeks gotta sell a kidney or something lol.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I feel u on that...school is draining all my money..hopefully when u finish it will pay off..
Almost the same case here, school is draining my ability to make all my money. No time these days, especially with wrestling still going on. It ends in a few days for me though, after this Saturday (conference) it's an option to goto practice, lol.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do night classes so that I can work during the day. I also have an online job which is my primary employment since it pays more than my day job :p

I coooould get that ice cube, but then I'd have to wait another month to buy all the parts I want.

I wanna have the engine done and frame painted before spring break!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
they say rome wasnt built overnight. Your doing good young jedi. It will all come together in the end. Bottom line is your a smart guy because youve done all your research. Keep going bro.
best of luck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts