Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we are new to this site

My brothers Suzuki is having an issue where it won’t ignition start, whenever we do the ignition slows down and it won’t start. It does roll start, and afterwards it’ll continue to start if it’s turned back on recently, however after leaving it off for a little while it refuses to start again. We’ve tried changing the spark plugs and upping the idle, but it doesn’t seem to be the problem. It has an aftermarket HMF exhaust, air intake, rev limiter, and was jetted a while before the issue. We have not had a major issue like this for a long time and have kept upkeep on it, so it’s been running fine.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Weak battery?

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
What voltage is it reading? An aging starter can cause slow cranking, but it never gets any better. What you’re describing is a battery that won’t hold a charge for very long.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It read about 35V. We also tested the stator and starter motor which both read healthy resistance.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We also just checked compression, and that’s not an issue either. We’re gonna check the spark plug now, and then if that’s all good move onto the carbs

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so here what we’ve done thus far
- Test Battery
- Test Stator/Generator
- Test Regulator/Rectifier
- Test Spark Plug Terminal/Cap
- Test Starter Motor
- Check Compression (Without Gauge, used hand over spark plug hole, felt strong)
- Check Spark Plug Sparking/Gapping

We’ve yet to do these things that the Manuel said to check
- Check Carburator
- Check Valves

Really not much left to do except take it apart, if there’s something we’re overlooking, suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
I’m guessing you mean 13.5 volts, which is good. If it’s 3.5v, then it’s dead. It’s a 12 volt battery, so no way it would read 35v.

Check it again while cold (no start attempts that day) and while cranking. Let me know what you find.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, it was 13.5v

While cold it was around 12.8v today, and while cranking it seemed to drop to 10.4v. Could be something I did but that’s what happened

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like valves are out of spec. take off the cam cover and engine plugs. takes about 20 minutes to check the clearance. if its not valves then it is most likely a dirty carb or maybe it just needs to be rejetted

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
I’d call the battery good, so it’s really a no-start problem. As mentioned, could be valve clearance, dirty carb, jetting, etc. I would check the valves first.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
check the valves bet they are stretched real good

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright we’re gonna check the valves first. I know how to do it but is there anything tip or experience wise that would be of assistance. Anything helps

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well I’ve opened it up, and judging from the videos I’ve watched the timing chain is off. I’m gonna still check the valve clearance

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can’t check the valves correctly until I fix the chain, and not only is the chain super tight, but covers for the camshaft refuse to come off. I don’t wanna be rough with it so I don’t break or lose anything

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got them off, and timing chain is ajusted correctly now, gonna move onto the valves

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I’ve measured the clearance, and it’s off as well. The Manuel specifys that the Intake clearance be between 10-20mm and the Exhaust be 20-30mm. There are four in total and here’s what I’ve found (1st is closest to the gear)

IN
1: 0.14mm
2: 0.13mm

EX
1: 0.10mm
2: 0.10mm

So the exhaust is also out of tune, I don’t have the shim kit but will be getting one to fix this.

Also the timing gears were totally off, I had to turn them both 180 degrees to get them back in place.

Any help

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and when we took off both covers, both clips were gone. They weren’t broken or anything, and I didn’t drop them, they were just gone. Anything on that

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
So, for the shims, you can use the Valve Shim Calculator to see which shims you need and just buy those individually from a shop if you don’t want to buy the entire kit. Some shops will even swap with you for your old ones for free.

By clips, you mean the alignment pins on the cam caps?

Oh, and “180 out” isn’t really a thing on 4 strokes, just happened to be where you stopped the crank. It fires every time the T lines up in the window, which is twice for a full rotation of the cams. You were just on the wrong stroke, no biggie. If you line up the T and the cams look 180 out, just turn the engine until the T lines up in the window again and it’ll be right.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
Ok so I’ve measured the clearance, and it’s off as well. The Manuel specifys that the Intake clearance be between 10-20mm and the Exhaust be 20-30mm. There are four in total and here’s what I’ve found (1st is closest to the gear)

IN
1: 0.14mm
2: 0.13mm

EX
1: 0.10mm
2: 0.10mm

So the exhaust is also out of tune, I don’t have the shim kit but will be getting one to fix this.

Also the timing gears were totally off, I had to turn them both 180 degrees to get them back in place.

Any help

oh lawd help you. I would hope you made sure the T was in the window.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts