Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the brake pads on my Z400 and I can't get the caliper piston to go down far enough to get the new pads on it. I know it is all hydrolic, but is there a way to adjust something to make it go down farther??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mike,

If your brake system is correct, the piston in the caliper should be flush or below the caliper housing when pushed all the way in. If this is not the case, you may need to remove the master cylinder cover and remove some brake fluid. Be careful when removing the cover and also when taking the brake fluid out. It is highly corrosive to chrome and painted parts. Wrap a shop rag around the master cylinder and wipe up any spillage which may of occur. If the piston is below or level with the caliper, you may have bought a set of pads that is too thick. (I'm assuming your using the stock rotor otherwise check that thickness as well) I've heard of this happening with aftermarket pads. I hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
understanding correctly?

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, I should be able to see about 1/4 in of the piston still if it is below the calier? Or is the piston supposed to be flush? Keep in mind I am new at this, so pardon all the dumb questions. I bought EBC pads as they were cheaper than OEM. Mike L.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Its the whole contraption on left side of the caliper (looking at the quad from behind). Many of us get block off plates to just remove it anyway. No difference of keeping the quad in gear instead up putting the parking brake on. A lot easier if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I love to use this quote,

"there are no dumb questions, just dumba$$ people that don't ask questions and break stuff".

You didn't specify if you were working with the front or rear brake caliper(s)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts