Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually not, but I have seen branches, knives, pool cues, bottle glass, metal stakes and more that have pierced / been pushed into and through or partially through someones body. This type of thing happens frequently when riding in the woods or when a bike tumbles. A branch may go through your arm, leg, chest, etc. A metal part breaks off and goes in you and is sticking out of you. A rock, stick, is stuck into your eye..... yuk!! ANYWAY,
NEVER, NEVER remove the stick, piece of metal or whatever from wherever it is stuck in your body even your eye. Items pulled out of you very often do more damage coming out then they do going in. Also, pull it out and you may bleed heavily or even bleed to death. Best thing to do is to cover the entry site / where the foreign body went it with a dressing, tee shirt, towel and seek medical assistance immediately. DO not attempt to remove the thing! IF a branch is through your leg and the branch is still on a tree then cut the branch from the tree and you leave it in place in you. You MUST seek medical help and let the medical types remove the foreign body from you. Sure you can pull a little splinter without problem usually unless it is in your eye. In your eye DO NOT remove. Have someone cover BOTH your eyes with a loosely fitting cloth/shirt, etc. and have them take you to a place for medical treatment. This message bought to you by someone with over 27 years of Emergency medical experience.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Good Advice. But I hope I'll never have to use it

Nate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Advice. But I hope I'll never have to use it

Nate[/b]
Unfortunately, WE will all have to use the info someday is my guess. May be many years (maybe even today) from now BUT someday you will be as well as everyone else be faced with this type of emergency or some other type. Suck up / read info like this and you will be prepared or at least abit more prepared for that day(s). The life, body part you save may even be yours.. I know I am 54 years old and have used similar such info many, many times. I try to pass the info on when I can........ hope you do the same... pass on the info to many.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks for the info...some time I'll tell you a story about when I hooked a friend right between the eyes with an Excaliber treble hook on a Super Rouge. Oh what a day...

·
Registered
2 Posts
man good stuf but damn if i never had a quad already and i didnt love riding, and i read this stuff i would have never got one.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
good advice for sure. there have probally been like 50 times where something like that almost happened to me on the trails

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've seen that kind of thing happen on tv's Trauma Life in the ER. Scary for sure. My girlfriend had a real close call running over a branch, but she had pretty tough boots on thank goodness. Now she knows better than to just run over every branch she sees lying around.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
im gunna sell my quad now

j/k :evilgrin :evilgrin

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for the info. 8)

·
Registered
189 Posts
if i look down, and see a branch hanging out of my rib... i'll call an EMT , then Im going to bash my face off a rock until i get knocked out lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i was ridin one time and wasnt wearin my helmet because i left it at my friends house and a brance hit right above my eye and it got all scratched up. i was real lucky it didnt get me in the eye cuz it was a w00ter of a scar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
wow man you got lucky.

Not to criticize you buddy, but I never ever get on a bike without my helmet. Same with my passengers. I have seen too much stuff in the dunes to ever go out without my brain bucket! You always see these *sorry* idiots with no helmets and backwards hats riding a hot blonde on the back with no helmet, pulling wheelies in fourth gear as to show off up a hill. You guys know what I'm talkin about.

Last year I saw someone on a dirt bike die at sand lake....no helmet, jumping without a spotter...*you know where I'm goin with this story*...and there weas a truck doing cookies just over the top of the hill. Of course the truck could have picked a better spot, but still he landed right into the door of the truck head first. Had he been wearing a helmet, it still would have been hairy, but it COULD have saved his life.

Three days ago, same place, we were tree shooting up this nasty hill, my dad was half way up and the sun crested the hill, blinded him and he veered to the right of his course, the sand was too steep and too soft and it flipped him over. He tried to get away from his bike but he fell about 20 feet into a tree with his head. Folded his neck so far forward I thought it had broke, then the bike came smashing on top of him. There was no way he could have moved if I hadn't been right there to pull it off of him with some weird superhuman strength. There were also broken branches all around that tree, except where his neck and head hit.

He got extremely lucky of course, and it scares the hell outta me to think what could've happened if he had not had his helmet on.

sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
two weekends ago we went riding. 45min up there i realized i forgot my helmet. i made him turn around and go back for it. glad i did. i got hit in the head with a rock the size of a softball. still hurts thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Last year at glamis {march 29, 04} We had a nice line of quad bikes and buggys. We all stoped to take a breck and most of the group wanted to go jump. Well we all fond a nice 40' gap and we all hit it twice except for me. so on my 2nd attempt i went off and when i landed and broke my handle bars! me and my bike went sright into those really hard sticked bushes and i had a stick stuck in my leg. And luckly there was a paramedic with us and thats what he told me was not to remove it. it can leave splinters and other thing in there. And never go riding alone is number one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last January I Was riding 3rd gear full tapped up a pipeline and a sappling (a small Tree) was cut half ways off. It was leaning toward me and when I went by, it went all the way through my fox racing glove and my hand but came out as soon as it went in because it was still in the ground
.... I spent 5 days and my B day in the hospital, and almost lost my hand because of infection..

My hand doesent give me any probs when Im riding which suprised me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts