Suzuki Central Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
oh yeah you SHOULD always wear helmet ... if i had always wore my ... idda prolly been dead after my bike hit a log ... thru me over the bars , i LANDED on my head bout 10 foot down trail, and it come chaseing after me ... dern why do these things like to follow you ? hahaha ...and then the bike LANDED on my head to boot ... soooooooooo thank god for brain buckets ...and the eye thing ... whooooa i got a piece of metal in my eye once grinding ( i did have on mah saftey glasses) ... and it rusted while in there ... so i went to Urgent Care ... .. they put some stuff in my eye ... (it stings) ... got got the piece of metal out of there ...and THEN I HEAR THE SOUND OF A DENTIST DRILL !!! and im sure you could imagine .. i sat right up and said WHAT IN THE **** ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH THAT ... lol he had to drill out the little rust spot on my eye ball ... didnt hurt ... but none the less scared the heck out of me

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by Anonymous@Feb 25 2003, 10:01 AM
Actually not, but I have seen branches, knives, pool cues, bottle glass, metal stakes and more that have pierced / been pushed into and through or partially through someones body.  This type of thing happens frequently when riding in the woods or when a bike tumbles.  A branch may go through your arm, leg, chest, etc.  A metal part breaks off and goes in you and is sticking out of you.  A rock, stick, is stuck into your eye..... yuk!!  ANYWAY,
NEVER, NEVER remove the stick, piece of metal or whatever from wherever it is stuck in your body even your eye.  Items pulled out of you very often do more damage coming out then they do going in.  Also, pull it out and you may bleed heavily or even bleed to death.  Best thing to do is to cover the entry site / where the foreign body went it with a dressing, tee shirt, towel and seek medical assistance immediately.  DO not attempt to remove the thing!  IF a branch is through your leg and the branch is still on a tree then cut the branch from the tree and you leave it in place in you.  You MUST seek medical help and let the medical types remove the foreign body from you.  Sure you can pull a little splinter without problem usually unless it is in your eye.  In your eye DO NOT remove.  Have someone cover BOTH your eyes with a loosely fitting cloth/shirt, etc. and have them take you to a place for medical treatment.  This message bought to you by someone with over 27 years of Emergency medical experience.
<div align='right'>index.php?act=findpost&pid=50182
[/quote]
i read this about a week before i got a branch "stuck into my neck" luckily it only took off a bunch of skin and didnt pierce my neck because it hit right where my jugular vane was this can and will happen to you if you ride alot.....i was just riding and a stick flipped up on end and levered between the ground and me not a very comfortable situation............it almost dismounted me from my quad.....i couldn't talk for 5-10 min after it happend because the blow was so severe to my neck.....oh also the stick was dull which saved my life....i would post some pics but it's almost healed up by now.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
ALMOST!!

great word, adds a dramatic touch!! and luckly we all have only had close calls!!

but one word of advice: Almost only works in horseshoes and hand gernades!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
wow crazy asss stories guys and im glad i read this because i probably would have pulled it out if i could withstand the pain

·
Registered
201 Posts
not only should you wear a helmut everytime you go out riding, goggles or sunglasses are just as important. I found out the hard way. A bumblebee(or atleast i think) got me square in the eye when i was going like 60mph through a field, hurt like a mf'er, couldnt see out of of my eye for the rest of the day, still had to wear a patch for like 4 days, eye was still bloodshot for a good week after too

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didnt realize how close of a call it was until I read this but I was on my old 230 and my buddy kicked up a branch and it came through the a arm and got stuck on my nerf bar right next to my ancle. It stuck into the ground and spun the quad around. I bet if it was a little bit farther over it would have gone through my leg cause all I had on was a pair of old work boots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
QUOTE (Anonymous @ Feb 25 2003, 10:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=50182
Actually not, but I have seen branches, knives, pool cues, bottle glass, metal stakes and more that have pierced / been pushed into and through or partially through someones body. This type of thing happens frequently when riding in the woods or when a bike tumbles. A branch may go through your arm, leg, chest, etc. A metal part breaks off and goes in you and is sticking out of you. A rock, stick, is stuck into your eye..... yuk!! ANYWAY,
NEVER, NEVER remove the stick, piece of metal or whatever from wherever it is stuck in your body even your eye. Items pulled out of you very often do more damage coming out then they do going in. Also, pull it out and you may bleed heavily or even bleed to death. Best thing to do is to cover the entry site / where the foreign body went it with a dressing, tee shirt, towel and seek medical assistance immediately. DO not attempt to remove the thing! IF a branch is through your leg and the branch is still on a tree then cut the branch from the tree and you leave it in place in you. You MUST seek medical help and let the medical types remove the foreign body from you. Sure you can pull a little splinter without problem usually unless it is in your eye. In your eye DO NOT remove. Have someone cover BOTH your eyes with a loosely fitting cloth/shirt, etc. and have them take you to a place for medical treatment. This message bought to you by someone with over 27 years of Emergency medical experience.[/b]
Great post! I would add that when covering the impaled object, wrap around it 2 or 3 times to support it, and prevent further damage.
Brought to you by someone with over 21 years EMS experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea I slipped off the quad and the fourin object that went into my knee was the footpeg with the sharp spikes. Obiously it came out too when i pulled myself back up onto the quad to stop, but it punctured/dug out a hole to my bone. Only needed 15 stitches outside and 4 inside, it looked worse than it was. gotta clean the meat off the footpeg sometime.

-I got lucky it was right above the knee in the meaty part, if it hit my knee it could have done some serious damage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was riding the trial's 2 years ago and found a hill to jump,so i started to jump it and about after the 4th jump i was get higher and higher everytime.So about the 9th time i jumped it i was used to the jump and i hit a branch and a little brach went right into my chest. I even had a chest protector on,but my luck it went threw one of the little slots in the chest protector. I left the little branch in me and went to the hospital and got 11 stitches in my chest.IT SUCKS

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am lucky i am not dead, i was riding my cr85e and i went 2 cross a small path/road and a truck was doing 60mph and hit me str8 on even tho i attempted a dump/bail suprising my bike only had a blown tube and slightly bend rim n couple spokes, myself tho i had enternal bleeding my left kidney was slightly split, and i have a couple bruised ribs and a dreaded 3 in cut on my nuts since my legs where split apart from the bike and i couldnt walk for a good 5 days, but i came out of it with no broken bones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know this thread is a bit dated but it is still quite relevant and always will be. NEVER pull anything from your body after a wreck. My most severe crash was a throw off after losing control while drifting a turn. My FIRST time wearing a helmet, yes I never wore one until this day, a few years of riding with no protection.
The helmet was destroyed from impact and the consequential tumbling and sliding but my head was OK.
As for the rest of me, I broke my pelvis and stripped all the joining ligaments in my right wrist along with the expected razzberries and hamburgering of my skin.
I stayed down long enuff to make sure there were no bones sticking out/broken back or neck. When I felt comfortable enuff to stand I felt the pain in my hip from the pelvic break.
I pulled up my clothing and saw a large open gash that was not bleeding. Inside, I saw what I thought was a piece of a small stick and went to pull it out. A friend with me was a first responder and ran up to stop me. Glad he did because what I thought was a stick was actually a blood vein. I nearly grabbed and cut out a vein in my own body with a pocket knife.
NEVER pull things from your body even if you think they aren't supposed to be there.
I don't even ride to my mailbox without a helmet now. I saved it to remind me of what my head could have looked like.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts