Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
how long are you guys riding your wuads to break them in? i only did about 2 hours of riding under 1/3 throttle, and another hour of riding under 1/2 throttle and gradually opened it up everyonce in a while from there.......now i have about 7 hours and have gone wide open throttle quite a few times
Just wondering b/c the cylinder wall isnt steel, and i wasnt sure if i broke in in properly?
thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my theory on engine break-in. I have broken in 7 new truck engines, 4 four wheeler, and 3 high performance 600hp engines in play toys. The tighter the tolerances the more careful you need to be. The suzuki is considerably tight in respect to the normal steel 400ex. Really it is hard to jack up a motor. Some don'ts are idling for more than 2 minutes, definately no redline rapping it out, or lugging it until it knocks. I like to run through the gears with a good hard pull. This will seat the bearings and set the metal for the future. Half throttle? Well I guess it is fine but I run mine to about 80-85% for short bursts. The first two hours I think are really the most crucial. After that things seem to free up a bit and the engine will develop a growl once it is seating in. My honda engine outlasted my bike completely and will still start on the first pull even after sitting 6 months. I have seen guys take a new engine out the first day full throttle all day with the engine smoking two months later and others no problem at all years down the road. Usually the better the quality the less you have to worry about break-in cautions. Yamaha I would be careful, there is a lot of vibration in their engines. The Z will outrun a raptor on acceleration but, the top end is iffy. These machines are not made for nascar so top end does not matter. Acceleration is the name of the game along with handling. Don't expect to blow a raptor away by any means, but you will have the edge when you need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts