Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up everyone! I got about 8 hours on the Z right now.... I havent really gotten on it alot and have yet to give it full throttle. Just curious to how i should finish breaking it in and such. As well....when should i do the first oil change...and what if anything else should i do during that time?? Any other fluids, checks, changes, etc..... I just got the 6mos warranty and i know i wont lose that for not bringing it in for the first check up thing...so i'd rather save the cash and do it myself, and get used to working on my quad anyway.

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
10 hours for break-in seems to be the consensus. I think with 8, you should be able to start opening it up for short periods of time. Then at 10-12 hours, you can ride normally. It's probably best to do that first oil change right after the break-in is finished. That's when I did mine. The oil was pretty black, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd say check the plug to make sure the dealer or factory jetted properly. Clean your air filter and lube the chain. That's about it.
I've been hearing horror stories about the dealers ripping people off for that first service. It's pretty much all stuff you can do yourself, especially since you only have the 6-month warranty. I've got the extended warranty, so I'll probably have to go get it done. :cry:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey whats up everyone!  I got about 8 hours on the Z right now....  I havent really gotten on it alot and have yet to give it full throttle.  Just curious to how i should finish breaking it in and such.  As well....when should i do the first oil change...and what if anything else should i do during that time??  Any other fluids, checks, changes, etc.....  I just got the 6mos warranty and i know i wont lose that for not bringing it in for the first check up thing...so i'd rather save the cash and do it myself, and get used to working on my quad anyway.

Thanks for the help!!

Mike[/b]
I was recommended to change the oil immediately after purchase, due to the fact that the original oil is just a generic light viscosity "shipping oil". Not that it isnt real oil, but that it's just a "$h!t" oil as i was told. Could be BS, but i had several ppl tell me this. Therefore i changed it. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry. BTW, if anyone else has opinions on this, please post them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok...well speaking on that. what kinda oil and filter should i get? Just goto the dealer and ask them for the right stuff?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I got a K&N oil filter from Rocky Mountain ATV and used Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil from Wal-Mart. They also make an ATV oil, but it's the same as the motorcycle stuff. Your dealer should have similar stuff, albeit at a much higher price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mobile 1 makes a 20w50, motorcycle oil that i'll prolly start using after my second oil change at the 20hr mark..

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I just use Mobil 10W-40 (99cents/quart)

With the frequent oil changes, it doesn't have much time to break down.

The oil filter is the same as the DRZ400s dirt-bike, so your dealer will know the correct part to give you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts