Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably shouldn't tell on myself like this, but. I just purchased a set of webcams 288/293 from ebay. When I got them today they didn't look right so I started measuring and looking at my stock cams. They are stock cams with the decompressor removed from the exhaust cam! Been trying to find oshc's. Then I search "search tempest" which looks at craigslist all over the US and Canada and Mexico. I found several ohsc's. I weeded them all down to one. This guy said he was absolutely sure they were oshc's. He answered all the questions right. I get them here and they are nshc's but basically brand new. They still have the coatings on the lobes. And for $100 shipped I guess not bad. Sorry for the rant. I guess the moral would be even if you do your homework, do the search, and do the research to find what you want someone, somewhere, sometime is bound and determined to step on your uh um finger! Know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I almost bid on them! I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them. You won them for $106 right?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's right. Haven't heard back from the seller yet. Wanted to give them a chance to make it right. They're not Webcams. Why do you want stock cams?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
They'd make nice cores to send to web ;)

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Check the base circles... Web re-grinds are cut into a stock lobe. Nobody removes the auto decomp and just put's the sprocket back on. It is an unbelievable pita to do. You should find that the stock cams have a larger base circle, and the webs have a smaller base circle. Also, the webs will take a much thicker shim because of this.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Let me know if you want to get rid of them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I knew how to measure lift on cams? I measured the stage 1's and got the correct lift acording to Hotcams. I measured the alleged Web's and come up with .324 on the intake and .313 on the exhaust. Which is less than stock. Right?
When I got ahold of the seller they think they sent the wrong cams. They sent 3 sets out the same day. They are going to try to find the Web's. To be clear you do measure at 90 degrees from the peak of the lobe. Which is the base circle. And then measure the overall lobe height. The difference is your lift. Right?

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Yep, that should find your lift... Maybe they did send the wrong cams. Another indicator is Webs should have been marked by what grind number they are "Web 288 IN" for example should be engraved into the intake cam.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just pulled my stock cams out and am setting lash on a new set of stage 1 hotcams. The alleged webs are identical in every way except the missing decomp. Same IN and EX on each and same numbers on the gears. No other numbers on them. Thanks for the info guys. Thought I forgot something. The seller said they may have an idea where the webs went. Think they might be a little better than the stage 1's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts