Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 mint ltz400 (completely stock except for a slip on pipe) and I was thinking about selling it for a 2004-2008 (carb) yfz450. I ride very rough and rocky trails and I go to the sand dunes once a year. My ltz is a dream on the trails, and I’m worried I’ll be disappointed with a yfz450. If anyone has owned both I would really appreciate it if you would tell me how much of a difference I will notice on the trails and which one is better on rocky trails. Also which one would be better for the dunes? Thanks everybody I really appreciate it!

·
Administrator
3,882 Posts
The YFZ is a race bike, and the Z is a trail machine. YFZ will be faster everywhere. They feel a little small though, and you might want to put bigger tires on it to gain some clearance on the rocks, depending what is on it.
Be nice if you could borrow or rent one for a ride, that is really the best way to get a feel for one.
I wouldn't trade mine for one, but that's just me.I have only tried them in the sand. Great machines though.
As far as power you will feel, my machine will hang with them, and it pulls the same one gear higher than my stocker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The YFZ is a race bike, and the Z is a trail machine. YFZ will be faster everywhere. They feel a little small though, and you might want to put bigger tires on it to gain some clearance on the rocks, depending what is on it.
Be nice if you could borrow or rent one for a ride, that is really the best way to get a feel for one.
I wouldn't trade mine for one, but that's just me.I have only tried them in the sand. Great machines though.
As far as power you will feel, my machine will hang with them, and it pulls the same one gear higher than my stocker.
I have 20 inch rear tires on my ltz just like the yfz450, I don’t think I’ll have a problem with ground clearance. I’m just worried that it might be a little stiff for trails and I will feel beat up on it compared to my ltz400, my Ltz400 is great on trails and feels really smooth. I can sell my Ltz400 for 3500 bucks and buy a yfz450 for 3000 and then I could put a steering stabilizer on it. I am also worried about The reliability of a yfz450 just because my Ltz400 has never had a problem and I don’t want to get rid of it for something that won’t be as reliable. I’m going a year and a half and have never even needed to clean the carburetor (I probably should😂). The only problem iv had is the chain took out my bottom end, but that is my fault (I should have checked the chain).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.