Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i've gotten so many conflicting opinions lately, and I need a little help deciding.

I've got the 434 kit and a set of NSHC's right now. I've got a fcr 39 and an open air box. I ride trails, no mx, no dunes.

I could....

Keep the NSHC's
Get yosh cams
Get a set of webs

Webs i'm looking at are 288/293's or 288/540's.

There may be other options, and i'm open to your suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the 288/540's

What do ya'll think??

·
Registered
765 Posts
well i was disapointed with my nshc at first because i was at the local dunes, but on the trails i have tons of torque and bottom end. i was thinking about getting web cams but im on the fence now. i was thinking about getting 540/539's but i just dont know anymore. if you get the webs let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I remember right when I was planning my build. I had read that the 288/293s had way too much low end. It seems as though they were the ideal trail cams. The 288/540s I had read were the closest performing cams to the OSHCs with a slight bottom end loss for a slight top end gain. I had my mind set on OSHCs but they are so hard to find. I thought I remember you buying a pair?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They didn't work out for me :(

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The hotcams should work well for lugging it around in the woods but might choke up the top end a tad. 539/540 combo is gonna be top end biased on a 434. I rode mine with the oshc's in my 434 before I did the stroker and it was decent in the woods. Felt a stronger midrange pull then the stock cams with some over-rev. The 288/540 combo sounds pretty good though.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Just had a thought...

If you are getting new cams from Web, you could also mix and match. For example, I sent a stock intake in, and had them make me a 539 intake even though they do not offer one. I believe you can have them set your LCL's where you want them also.

For example, if you want OSHC's the Web 536 grind cam is almost exactly the same by the specs. So order a 536 IN /536 EX grind, and have them both set 107* Lobe center line angle, and you have cams with almost exactly the same specs as old style hot cams! :cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just had a thought...

If you are getting new cams from Web, you could also mix and match.
Where in the world did you ever come up with an idea like this?!!! :eek: Ray.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some feelers out for 539's. Between the 539/539 combo and 288/540 combo, which do you think would be more beneficial for me? I do like to open her up!

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
i think you should go for the big webs. you can always do the 13t to make up for any (if any) lost low end.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Got some feelers out for 539's. Between the 539/539 combo and 288/540 combo, which do you think would be more beneficial for me? I do like to open her up!

That was 536, not 539... Big difference. At a mild 434, not running dunes, I would stick w 536... And to answer your question, it depends on where in the rpm range, you want your power

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mistake, read too quickly on my phone. I'll inquire about them and take it from there. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, update, i've got a fcr 41 coming, and going to contact web on monday. I'm still torn between the:
288/293
288/540
536/536 set

For trails, the occasional drag and mostly recreational. I haven't ridden with the 434 yet, so I don't know what that does for the power band, but i'd like to have good grunt in the low end (which I thought it had before the 434) and a great mid. I don't spend much time at high rpm's, just the occasional drags up the main hill.

I'm leaning towards the 536/536 combo.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Ok, update, i've got a fcr 41 coming, and going to contact web on monday. I'm still torn between the:
288/293
288/540
536/536 set

For trails, the occasional drag and mostly recreational. I haven't ridden with the 434 yet, so I don't know what that does for the power band, but i'd like to have good grunt in the low end (which I thought it had before the 434) and a great mid. I don't spend much time at high rpm's, just the occasional drags up the main hill.

I'm leaning towards the 536/536 combo.
In my 440, I ran oshc's, and 288/540, and between the two, I liked the oshc's better. They pulled harder low to mid, but gave up some power up top. Later on, I tried a oshc's intake with the 540 exhaust, and that wasn't quite as strong as the oshc's down low, but from there on up, was stronger than either other combo. That was what I stayed with.

So, not to add to the confusion, but a 536/540 might be the best overall. Get them set at 107/107 lcl would be epic in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That sounds perfect to me. I'll give web a call on monday and have them make me up a set.

What made you choose the 536/540 over 536/536 or the 288/540? Oh and as far as the LCL goes, could you just briefly explain why 107 would be optimum? I"m so confused by all of this, i've never had to deal with cams before.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
536/536 is going to pull the hardest from idle up to the mid, but will fall off earlier, the 536/540 will not quite be as punchy down low, but mid to high will be stronger. I think it comes down to preference. Where do you want it to be the strongest? I don't think either one will leave you disappointed at all.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just responded to your pm'd answer to my question. Should have checked here first as you just answered my question! I'll go with the bigger ones, as I think i've got plenty of bottom end to begin with, and it's never going to be less than the stock bottom end power, right?

I'll go with the 536/540 setup at 107˚

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Sounds good man, the more I think about it, I like the 106/108 lcl idea a bit more. That will help it off the low end a bit more with your compression.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Why not 540/539 with a 13t front sprocket? That will pull like a mofo in a 434. You can always gear it to match. Then when you go bigger, you may not have to buy a bigger set of cams.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts