Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so why can't a otherwise stock 450bbk 09 ltz hang with a stock ltr :confused:

·
Registered
380 Posts
You need mods to support the BBK, i.e. Full exhaust system, cams, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Basket Case,
Have you adjusted the fuel curve, intake, and exhaust to compensate for the added CC's? If not, you are not taking full advantage of the BBK.
Adding a 450 BBK doesn't automatically make this the "same" as a factory 450. Anytime you change the bore and stroke relationship in your motor, you have upset the balance of the motor. The factories spend alot of R&D time to develop these motors to find the correct bore/stroke combination. Adding displacement actually slows down the rate of the acceleration of the piston. The proper BBK should be done with a stroker kit to re-establish the proper balance to the motor as intended by the factory. I have been racing and building my own motors for many years and yes I have went the BBk only route, with mixed results. I currently race a '09 with mods to the head, intake, cams, and exhaust but only changed the "motor" by going with a 13.5:1 piston and U4.4 fuel. This is where you will find major gains w/o upsetting the motor balance. I start in the same class with 450's and usually can pull the holeshot and hang with these guys except down long straights.
Let me sum this up by saying, I'm not against BBk's and you can certainly make more H/P with more CC's. Unless you constantly run in the upper RPM's or need to go a million mph, you will find making changes to the intake/exhaust tract will give you the best results w/o sacrificing reliability. Thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck,
Mel

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i dont have one lol i was just wondering bout this for a while thank you ltz4 that really answers my question though

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
even if the Zhad a bbk and supoorting mods, the ltr weighs MUCH less. same reason why can-am will walk all over the honda 450 even though the honda has way more power.

power to weight ratio plays a huge role when it comes to acceleration. a flat track racer told me (and it seems to be pretty accurate) that you can drop 7lbs or add 1hp and your lap times will increase the same amount.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so why are they lighter? aluminum frame im geussing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts