Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some issues..

#1 while sitting not running.. the carb is dripping fuel, with the petcock in the “on” position.. I pulled the fuel line and fuel is still coming out, which my understanding was that it should not be... so is the petcock bad?

#2 when running, i have to have the choke on about 1/8 or it dies and it back fires on decel..

help!

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
The fuel leaking is from the float needle. It could be that the float needle seat is dry-rotted and letting some fuel by, or the carb is dirty and a chunk of dirt is stuck in it not letting the needle seal. With the fuel line removed, it still leaks until the float bowl is drained.
If nothing is wrong with the float needle seat, it may very well be the petcock is bad and the float needle can’t hold the weight of all the fuel in the tank pushing on it and some drips by the needle seat.
As for your problem of needing to run it on partial choke: the choke is an enrichment circuit in the carb that just ads more fuel to the idle circuit. In other words, needing to run the choke means your idle circuit is partially clogged.
It sounds like your carb is dirty. You may also want to toss that junk factory petcock and install one from a Raptor660 so you’ll have an off position that won’t leak. Costs around $25 and the only thing you need to do other than bolting it on is plug the vacuum line from the carb since it has nowhere to go and will draw dirt into the carb without being plugged.
So, long story short: clean your carb and put a little Sea Foam in the gas tank.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I do put seafoam in every tank. This ATV sat for several years as I had Stage 4 cancer. I’m going to pull the bowl off the carb and see if I can see anything obvious, or if it looks like I need to rebuild the entire carb..

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Wow, glad you’re still out there riding! Sitting that long, I’m sure it needs a cleaning.

Reactions: amcf18

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, glad you’re still out there riding! Sitting that long, I’m sure it needs a cleaning.
Thanks man!

I dropped the bowl, the seat looks good. The float moves freely. I pulled all the jets and all (brass) pieces (don’t know all the names) and am soaking in carb cleaner.

Think I need to take the needle out too? It’s not bad inside. Looked like a couple of the orifices were clogged in a couple of the brass pieces.. The pilot jet? Was partially clogged.

As to the petcock, it’s in the “on” position, right now I have it clamped off with a fuel line clamp, but with it disconnected from the carb completely, it still drips fuel and it’s not suppose to right?

FYI, I have a Yoshimura “Team Suzuki” full header/pipe & open air box.

I have this jet kit: Moose Carburetor Jet Kit- Stage 1, 2

The dealer installed the jet kit, so I don’t know what all they did with the needle..

Thanks!

-ThaChad

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
The pilot is long and skinny with holes on the side and a tiny hole in the middle while the main is a short, fat “screw” with one large hole down the middle. They both have numbers on the head. Pilot should be a 25 or 22.5 and the main is probably around 155 or 160. The needle shouldn’t need cleaning. It has an adjustment at the top by way of 5 different clip positions and a washer. I’d just put it back together as is.
The petcock shouldn’t be leaking. It means the diaphragm inside has dry rot and the petcock should be replaced. Time to get that Raptor660 style.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The pilot is long and skinny with holes on the side and a tiny hole in the middle while the main is a short, fat “screw” with one large hole down the middle. They both have numbers on the head. Pilot should be a 25 or 22.5 and the main is probably around 155 or 160. The needle shouldn’t need cleaning. It has an adjustment at the top by way of 5 different clip positions and a washer. I’d just put it back together as is.
The petcock shouldn’t be leaking. It means the diaphragm inside has dry rot and the petcock should be replaced. Time to get that Raptor660 style.
Got all the jet’s cleaned out, the starter jet is a “60”, which is factory according to the OEM Diagram/Parts List, the Pilot is a 25 and the Main Jet is a 155.

I was reading the DJ jet’s are not the same size as the OEM jets?

I was thinking of picking up a DJ160 and DJ165 just to have in the kit, but so far have not been able to find the for sale individually, but I can find OEM Mikuni jets.

Just to confirm, the black knob attached to the fuel bowl on the carb should be set at 2.5 turns out?

What does changing the clip position on the needle do? (Not going to mess with that right now).

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
I’ve never had to change the starter jet and always have the needle on the 3rd clip from the top.
DJ numbers are different than Mikuni jets. There’s a chart around here somewhere comparing the size differences. If you can’t find it, google probably has it.
The black thumbscrew knob is the idle adjuster. The mixture screw (what you’re looking for) is under the bottom of the carb bowl, a small flat-head brass screw same color as the jets. That should be 2.5 turns out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a DJ160 and DJ165 just to have on hand.

I am going to be reassembling the carb this week, I have a petcock on order.

I’m hoping cleaning all the jet’s will fix the backfiring on decel as well, but I’m not sure that is/was a jet issue, since that typically means I burned fuel right?

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Maybe not at the correct air/fuel ratio. If it runs great and just pops a lot on decel, turning the fuel mixture screw will usually help it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned the carb and all the jets. Also replaced the petcock due to the fuel dripping when in the “ON” position. (I went with an aftermarket OE replacement).

Reassembled and she fired right up, still running the DJ155 (but I did acquire a DJ160 and DJ165) and the 25 pilot.

I did set the mixture screw to 2.5 turns out.

I did find my carb leaking again, looks like it’s coming out of the seam between the bowl and carb body, so I ordered a new O-Ring seal.

I did give it a few revs and didn’t hear any back firing on deceleration and was able to turn the choke off completely. So Progress!

The only thing I did notice is after idling a few minutes, it would just die. Immediately fire right back up though... Mixture screw?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts