Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of my friends have suggested this site..so im new to this forum...i have 2003 suzuki ltz 400...ive been reading thru comments and troubles..and i see im not only one who has trouble with this type suzuki...ive changed everything from carb..fuel petcoke..oil..plug..choke...air filter...it wont run on ON...but runs super high on prime..but fuel starts spewing out of over flow...ive tryed adjusting idle screw ..and it just vibrates out..but NO CHANGE...i sure do miss the days when simple was just ruling out common things....completely lost here.

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
The petcock is vacuum operated, it is either not receiving vacuum, or faulty. On prime it is on, all the time.
Your carb is flooding because the needle and seat is leaking fuel, or the o-ring around the seat is cracked. Way out possibility is someone messed with the float setting, but unlikely.

Reactions: JOE G

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would swap out OEM Petcock for a OEM Raptor 660, add a rebuild kit to the carb and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you amfc18. and Joe G for ur input..i ordered 660 fuel petcock...as far as rebuild on carb...its brand new...so i think im gonna rebuild original mikuni 36 that was in it...amfc18 im kinda lost on vacum thing with this..i understand concept...but where to look or start is got my mind racing....i did notice when i took fuel line and other line off new petcock i installed....only time gas came out was on prime...so i see theres a vacum issue..ive pulled off every hose and line to make sure they were clear...ive always been a 2 stroke dirtbike guy...this my first 4 stroke ..and 4wheeler...so i hope i dont sound to ignorant lol..but truth is i am....thank you both tremondously for ur input and help...i WILL figure this out if it kills me lol.....just wanta ride man🤘🤘🤘🤘

·
Registered
410 Posts
Stock Pet **** works with Vac on the on and reserve postion, On Prime it does not. So you will add Raptor Petcock an cap off the Vac port on the carb. If you are running cheap Ebay carb then rebuild Factory carb and go from there.

Reactions: amcf18

·
Registered
21 Posts
A few of my friends have suggested this site..so im new to this forum...i have 2003 suzuki ltz 400...ive been reading thru comments and troubles..and i see im not only one who has trouble with this type suzuki...ive changed everything from carb..fuel petcoke..oil..plug..choke...air filter...it wont run on ON...but runs super high on prime..but fuel starts spewing out of over flow...ive tryed adjusting idle screw ..and it just vibrates out..but NO CHANGE...i sure do miss the days when simple was just ruling out common things....completely lost here.
peacock is a vacuum set up. Make up its not plugged . If all is well try using a filter in the line. Worked for me until I got the new peacock

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so im bout at my wits end with this 03 ltz 400...ive done everything so far from the advice ppl have givin me on this forum...it still runs at a super high idle .i cannot get the idle to adjust down...but in letting it run 2 min tops..i noticed exhaust coming out of motor was glowing red....why?

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
The exhaust it red from being too lean, or from the high idle, which is either a lean issue, or the slide isnt dropping all the way to the bottom of the carb, either Idle stop or the trottle cable is hung up and wont let it drop, usually caused by improper routing (tight, no slack, or a damaged cable.

Reactions: Sidingking

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First and foremost...i want to thank EVERYONE whos helped me with advice on my suz 400...ive gained alot of ground in getting this running right...ive got idle tuned in ...starts instantly...trottles not bogging....but still my exhaust starts glowing red...ive checked everything Amcf18 told me...i have no kinks or binds in new trottle assembly...ive adjusted cable at carb and trottle to factory settings....ive rebuilt old mikuni carb..slides all new .b4 i installed carb...i made sure everything moving freely....honestly shes running great..but its glowing exhaust coming out of motor that concerns me....could there be anything else to cause this?...or do i just ignore it and roll??

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
Sounds like you are close. How many turns out on the fuel screw are you? Can you open some more, and still keep response good?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amfc18....i couldnt find an actual idea of fuel pilot screw ...so many different ppl with so many suggestions..so what i did was turned screw all the way in...then turned it out completly counting turns...so i counted 12...so i turned screw all in. And made 7 turns out....i may need to turn out a few more turns....but sumone brought to my attention...i have a hmf exhaust that sumone put on......do i need to adjust the carb to that?...it makes sense now to me...but clueless on how

·
Registered
21 Posts
First and foremost...i want to thank EVERYONE whos helped me with advice on my suz 400...ive gained alot of ground in getting this running right...ive got idle tuned in ...starts instantly...trottles not bogging....but still my exhaust starts glowing red...ive checked everything Amcf18 told me...i have no kinks or binds in new trottle assembly...ive adjusted cable at carb and trottle to factory settings....ive rebuilt old mikuni carb..slides all new .b4 i installed carb...i made sure everything moving freely....honestly shes running great..but its glowing exhaust coming out of motor that concerns me....could there be anything else to cause this?...or do i just ignore it and roll??
Keep putting larger main jets in . I had same issue and went to 3 above stock size . I think I may need to go one more larger. But getting g better. I don't have anywhere to ride by my house so I can't just go out whenever. I'm sure the larger u go the less glow you will have. I have dyno jets and they are a bit larger in size thN stock size jets. Takes time to adjust to correct size if u don't have property

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amfc18....i couldnt find an actual idea of fuel pilot screw ...so many different ppl with so many suggestions..so what i did was turned screw all the way in...then turned it out completly counting turns...so i counted 12...so i turned screw all in. And made 7 turns out....i may need to turn out a few more turns....but sumone brought to my attention...i have a hmf exhaust that sumone put on......do i need to adjust the carb to that?...it makes sense now to me...but clueless on how
May I add I have hmf also with hot cams stage 1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep putting larger main jets in . I had same issue and went to 3 above stock size . I think I may need to go one more larger. But getting g better. I don't have anywhere to ride by my house so I can't just go out whenever. I'm sure the larger u go the less glow you will have. I have dyno jets and they are a bit larger in size thN stock size jets. Takes time to adjust to correct size if u don't have property
Thank you for that input...i really think im close to the finish result...holy hell dude ive never worked on sumthing that has my blood boil like this 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for that input...i really think im close to the finish result...holy hell dude ive never worked on sumthing that has my blood boil like this 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Bro ur not telling.me noting I don't know. I about gave up last month. But I figured it out on my own b.c Noone around me would work on anything older than 07. Which pissed me off because I have thousands of $ into this bike. So I decided to do it myself and I had same exact issue. In return I put larger main jets in and solved my issue. U may have to adjust the idle screw when doing so tho. Just takes time and patience. Good luck my fellow friend. Keep us posted with progress

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty cool getting into these 4 strokes lmao. I put in athena big bore kit as well. And this 400 is now a monster. I never would believe it but now I have done it I'm am very shocked . Only a 440 which is (334cc) plus the hot cams I am about close to 450ccish. Keep us posted on your progress. We'll help with what we can to get you riding asap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bro ur not telling.me noting I don't know. I about gave up last month. But I figured it out on my own b.c Noone around me would work on anything older than 07. Which pissed me off because I have thousands of $ into this bike. So I decided to do it myself and I had same exact issue. In return I put larger main jets in and solved my issue. U may have to adjust the idle screw when doing so tho. Just takes time and patience. Good luck my fellow friend. Keep us posted with progress
Lolololol...dude a got a stihl concrete saw with 16 in metal cutting blade in it.sooo many times i thought about chopping that thing into piecez lolol...but like you...i hate to be defeated...........i swear if sumone hadnt told me bought this site...yup id be selling parts right now🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣...thank you homie for ur input

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Iv
Pretty cool getting into these 4 strokes lmao. I put in athena big bore kit as well. And this 400 is now a monster. I never would believe it but now I have done it I'm am very shocked . Only a 440 which is (334cc) plus the hot cams I am about close to 450ccish. Keep us posted on your progress. We'll help with what we can to get you riding asap
Ive got alot of learning to do in these 4 strokes...but tremoundous gratitude for everyone whos helped me....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts