Suzuki Central Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Full HMF? If jetting is good, at idle the head pipe will glow a slight amount, My Titanium exhaust all do it, They are much thinner and lighter and at night if they idle they will glow so keep this in mind, Check plug.

Reactions: Sidingking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good point Joe he does need to check plug will let you know if lean/rich . And if it is new pipe it will glow. Jetting can be a pain in the butt. Many people get so frustrated and give up when putting on mods. (Time and patients)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Full HMF? If jetting is good, at idle the head pipe will glow a slight amount, My Titanium exhaust all do it, They are much thinner and lighter and at night if they idle they will glow so keep this in mind, Check plug.
Its a little more than slight amount ..i bought it with full hmf already on it...but i will check the plug like sidingking also said...thank u for ur input JoeG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good point Joe he does need to check plug will let you know if lean/rich . And if it is new pipe it will glow. Jetting can be a pain in the butt. Many people get so frustrated and give up when putting on mods. (Time and patients)
So if its running lean....do i need to adjust pilot screw a few more turns out?...def gonna check the plug tho....sumone here at work told me i should be running 93 gas to...not standard 87 like manual says....ive been running just regular 87 ..idk if thatll help going to 93 super...

·
Registered
410 Posts
You don't need super unless you raised the compression, its not going to fix your issue.Is it red while riding or while idling? What RPM is it idling at? I would set the idle screw back to stock and start over. If its is doing this while idling mess with Pilot Jet a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So if its running lean....do i need to adjust pilot screw a few more turns out?...def gonna check the plug tho....sumone here at work told me i should be running 93 gas to...not standard 87 like manual says....ive been running just regular 87 ..idk if thatll help going to 93 super...
I run 97 in all my machines trucks atvs lawnmowers ect. I am not sure if that will make a difference in the glow though. Your plug will tell you for sure . U may have to ride around for a min though. Now with mine. And I have same quad. 440 athena bbk. Stage one hot cams. Full hmf exhaust. Bla bla bla . When mine ran glowing red I ran it for about 6 hrs total run time. And said it's not lighti g up at all so I put a bigger jet in it ran it for an hr or so seamed to lighten up a bit went to a bigger one . Seam to lighten up more . Went to a bigger one and that's where I am at now . I think I may try one more size bigger when I get a chance. But it was so hot it melted my riding boot. And then one time melted through my riding pant and melted my skin . Scared me for life. That's what made me change the jet bigger and bigger. I am using dyno jets which are slightly different. (Number size is a Lil bigger than stock size). I feel this is your issue based on experience lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You don't need super unless you raised the compression, its not going to fix your issue.Is it red while riding or while idling? What RPM is it idling at? I would set the idle screw back to stock and start over. If its is doing this while idling mess with Pilot Jet a little.
Its gets red hot in about 1 minute of idling....but crazy part is...i got it idling really good...its got snap at trottle....every so slight bkfire ..not like b4 omg it was bad bk firing...idk if exhaust is glowing because it hasnt been ran in 6 months i should say ridin...so im def gonna adjust pilot jet out a few more turns and see what happens...thank you for advice joe g

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I run 97 in all my machines trucks atvs lawnmowers ect. I am not sure if that will make a difference in the glow though. Your plug will tell you for sure . U may have to ride around for a min though. Now with mine. And I have same quad. 440 athena bbk. Stage one hot cams. Full hmf exhaust. Bla bla bla . When mine ran glowing red I ran it for about 6 hrs total run time. And said it's not lighti g up at all so I put a bigger jet in it ran it for an hr or so seamed to lighten up a bit went to a bigger one . Seam to lighten up more . Went to a bigger one and that's where I am at now . I think I may try one more size bigger when I get a chance. But it was so hot it melted my riding boot. And then one time melted through my riding pant and melted my skin . Scared me for life. That's what made me change the jet bigger and bigger. I am using dyno jets which are slightly different. (Number size is a Lil bigger than stock size). I feel this is your issue based on experience lol.
Thank you for that input ...i got it running really good...good idle...but that exhaust at motor be glowing in one minute of idle running....so im def gonna have to look into what uve said...thankx man

·
Super Moderator
3,674 Posts
Amfc18....i couldnt find an actual idea of fuel pilot screw ...so many different ppl with so many suggestions..so what i did was turned screw all the way in...then turned it out completly counting turns...so i counted 12...so i turned screw all in. And made 7 turns out....i may need to turn out a few more turns....but sumone brought to my attention...i have a hmf exhaust that sumone put on......do i need to adjust the carb to that?...it makes sense now to me...but clueless on how
Did you find the fuel screw? It is underneath the carb, covered from factory on most machines with a (frost) plug.
The maximum turns out should be 3 turns. Then you should go up a size.
If you have a full exhaust system, you should go up on the main jet a little, but this has nothing to do with the idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did you find the fuel screw? It is underneath the carb, covered from factory on most machines with a (frost) plug.
The maximum turns out should be 3 turns. Then you should go up a size.
If you have a full exhaust system, you should go up on the main jet a little, but this has nothing to do with the idle.
Yes i did find that ...i adjusted it out to 5 to 6 turns...so the more i adjust out...the leaner the fuel will run?...im very sorry for same old questionz...but ive also learned ALOT from everyone whos takin the time to help me...so i def try that 3 turns out...thanks amfc18

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes i did find that ...i adjusted it out to 5 to 6 turns...so the more i adjust out...the leaner the fuel will run?...im very sorry for same old questionz...but ive also learned ALOT from everyone whos takin the time to help me...so i def try that 3 turns out...thanks amfc18
U should not go more that 3 turns out on the idle. Add a bigger jet to cool it. Fuel cools your system more than antifreeze

·
Registered
410 Posts
I forget if you told us your exact mods, Full exhaust you should be close with a 150/155 Main and 25 pilot. Needle depends which you have and fuel screw are 2 to 2.5 turns out. I have not read the below linked thread in a while but it may be helpful for you.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts