Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best carbon fiber clutches? EBC, Barnett, Hinson? Or is there other clutches that are good?

I have a 462, full hmf.... and what’s the best oil to run with which kit? Do you have to “break it in”?
I’ll be running semisynthetic, and I even mix in some assembly lube for extra zinc content...

My current clutch runs and pulls fine 1-3rd (sometimes does on 3rd) but 4 and 5th once u punch it it revs a whole lot (still pulls) but after ab 5 seconds or a 10mph increase then it completely disengages and pulls fully

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts
I have had great luck with Barnett when I was trying to make an 03-04 clutch work. Since then, I went to a 05+ clutch, and it's just not a concern anymore. I use good quality plates, either Hinson, or Barnett, and I just don't have problems. I've never broken in a clutch. I do smear oil, or dip the fibers in the oil I'm going to run, before assembly. I've heard all kinds of theories of soaking them for hours and stuff, but I haven't found it to be true.

As for oils, as long as you stick with a wet clutch safe oil, of appropriate weight, synthetic or non, of whatever brand makes you feel good, and change it when you should, it will be fine. I would be careful adding things to the oil. Motorcycle oils don't have the same issues as automotive oils, and you can cause problems by adding things. Zinc and phosphorus are not the only additives used for their purpose, especially now days. Leave that part up to the chemists.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean exactly by making a 03-04 clutch work? Like meaning the stock clutch or the basket? Mines an 03 but I’ll be changing the basket to 05 sometime soon but I’ll need a clutch sooner though....

I don’t add a whole lot and I mix it in before I add any, like a cup full of oil. (Mixed with a decent glob of assembly lube..... not a whole lot... I’ve only done that once or twice, once while running conventional, after ab 3 oil changes from break in, then just like every other 3 times.... I just recently added it sometime back, but I changed to semi synthetic, hasn’t helped my problem any... I believe some of my fibers are done

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts
In 05 and newer models, the clutch changed, and holds a couple more plates. It's the basket, hub, and pressure plate that changed, and you need all 3 to convert. Those extra couple plates make it a lot easier to keep the clutch from slipping with a big bore stroker.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 05 and newer models, the clutch changed, and holds a couple more plates. It's the basket, hub, and pressure plate that changed, and you need all 3 to convert. Those extra couple plates make it a lot easier to keep the clutch from slipping with a big bore stroker.
Okay, so I ordered a Barnett but I believe it is a Kevlar, with heavy duty springs, instead of carbon fiber, which is better ? Especially for the 462

·
Super Moderator
4,143 Posts
I think the new HD springs will help more than anything, remember to soak it in oil before install.

·
Administrator
7,734 Posts
Have they discontinued the carbon fiber? I think I may remember mention of that. Kevlar is still a high quality clutch material. That's what most high performance plates are.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not exactly sure but everything I’ve found on online stores (actual sites and not eBay) says the carbon fibers will not fit, but they have them for like dirt bikes or new 450’s.... not mine. Only thing I see is like EBC or dirt digger, which dirt digger is supposed to be CF, right?

I bought a Barnett, Kevlar one I guess, off eBay.. I looked up numbers and all I see is Kevlar and not carbon fiber

From everything I’ve seen online the CF ones I find cannot fit, so I have no clue honestly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts