Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never tried one of these. Is there a particular box or a couple that stand out. Dont need anything too special as I dont see my Dad going very crazy on performance upgrades. Looks like the Black box is priced well, dont know if they are any good?

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Not positive, but I’m pretty sure that’s a ProCom CDI with a different sticker on it. Dyna makes good stuff, programmable and non-programmable. Some come with the higher rev limit, but in my humble opinion, not worth buying unless you upgrade the cams and valve springs. They’ll just stop making power before you reach the new limiter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not positive, but I’m pretty sure that’s a ProCom CDI with a different sticker on it. Dyna makes good stuff, programmable and non-programmable. Some come with the higher rev limit, but in my humble opinion, not worth buying unless you upgrade the cams and valve springs. They’ll just stop making power before you reach the new limiter.
I'm not even so much looking for a higher rev limiter, I thought these are supposed to change the timing curve for added performance as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had my Raptor 700 back when they first came out, I used to ride with a guy that had an ltz and his ran great. We used to do a lot of drag racing and that 400 was quick. He was giving me the closest competition than the other guys back then, even beating Banshees. I dont know exactly what he had done, but I thought he said he had a chip, or cherry bomb or something. Now my dad has one of these and I'd love to get it running like that guys ltz did. They are carburated so I'm thinking a cdi box must have been what he had.

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
You really should upgrade valve springs before looking at rev boxes. The stock springs are not ok with the higher rev limit. The rev boxes do have a more aggressive timing curve, but they all raise the rev limit over 10,000 rpm also.

The stock double springs for a DRZ-E are sufficient.

My personal favorite rev box is Dyna.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
To answer your questions, it does advance the curve slightly, but is it a noticeable difference? Probably not on a stock quad. I wouldn’t think you’d have to rejet for a CDI unless you’re running very lean already.

Reactions: amcf18
1 - 7 of 7 Posts