Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yestereday I got my new Z. After I took it out for a little ride I looded it up and went home due to the freezing weather. When I got home I was looking over the Quad and decided to check the oil. I unscrewed the oil tank cap and oil started to flow out the top so I Quickley screwed it back on and grabbed the owners manual to try and find out what the hell just happened :roll: The engine was still warm so I just figured that the oil overflowed due to heat expansion. Well I got up this morning and went out to check the oil level again and it still wants to over flow! Is this a common problem with these things or do you think the quad might have been overserviced??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same thing with my new KFX. I got the manual and checked it just like it said and it is right at the top of the tank. I am going to get a filter and change mine today. Refill it myself and see what happens.
Maybe we are doing something wrong. This is the first drysump system quad that I have ever had.

·
Registered
69 Posts
it shouldn't run out like that, there is only suppost to be about 2 1/2 quarts of oil in there, sounds like somebody got a little giddy about adding oil, it really shouldnt hurt anything thought being it is dry sump, but i would put what is suppost to be in it... :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well since I just bought it yesterday I just took it back to the dealer. It was over serviced by at least 3/4 qt I am guessing. No big deal, I am just glad that I caught it! Normally I am not so clueless with engines but this is my first with a dry sump as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got my new z today, aftr reading the owners manual, are you certain that you are checking the level correctly?As per manual: Start the engine for 3 minutes, kill engine, wait three mins, then pull dipstick out, wipe, and then reinsert without screwing in. This is refering to the oil tank itself, not the bolt on the engine case, that is only used to verify that there is enough oil in the engine to crank it and then kill and check the oil tank level. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The same thing happened to me. the oil over flowed when i checked it. guess what the dealer put too much oil in it.they have these guys that don't know too much putting the quads togather. this seems like it is happening all over the country.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Most likely what is happening is your dealers don't have the service manuals yet...so they just fill it all the way up to the top. I know I had a service manual 3 months before my dealer....and I didn't order untill two months after I bought the quad.

As a matter of fact....they only have the KFX manual now...suzuki still hasn't sent them one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
no problem with my z thats weird that it comes out like that

·
Registered
43 Posts
checking oil level

I think if the quad sits for an extended period of time the oil drains out of the tank into another reservoir.Someone at the dealer may have checked it without starting it and letting it run and fill the tank to proper level.They just filled it and called it good giving you the extra quart or so.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Some tips for y'all who haven't changed your oil yet.
When you're changing your filter, make sure that you don't forget the small o-ring that goes in between your filter and the motor. I pulled my filter out once and put the new one in before realizing that the o-ring had stuck to the old filter. Good thing I caught it before riding.
When filling your resevoir with oil, after you've got the second quart in, put the dipstick in all the way and start the bike. This will suck some oil into the motor so there's room for that extra half quart. Yes, I didn't do this once and got oil all over. Other than that, it's a pretty painless procedure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
VC. That is a hell of a tip about the O-Ring. I changed the oil and filter on my Z yesterday. I just dug the old filter out of the garbage and the O-Ring was on it. I rode it for about an hour or so yesterday so hope fully everything is OK. Thanks for that great tip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my dealer over filled it too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts