Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of front elkas with zero preload set up for hard xc riding/light mx with stock a-arms. I suppose that they will be fine but he told me about a link for the rear that would lower the quad and improve the ratio of the shock action(softer in beggining of stroke, stiffer at end of stroke). I guess it only replaces the twin beam link and not the single beam one. I found out about elkas link after ordering the one from cpm. He said that this setup works better for xc and just a regular revavle with zps for mx. Anyone that has any info it would be appreciated as I kind of have doubts after reading the elka link thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he gave me the best deal I could find on the package. The big reason is he is buying my old works shocks for a 250r that I couldnt seem to give away-lol. Besides that his prices were plenty fair from what Ive seen even without the old shocks being part of it. He came down on his prices after I spoke with him awhile. He just did that I didnt ask him. I talked wiht elka direct and they were around a 75 bucks higher for the front shocks. I was mainly concerned about getting some info on his link anyway but not knocking your reply.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thats a good question. I was figuring that I would prpbably have to modify the skid of go with one that is of the 2 piece design. Thought about maybe having to cut off the hump on the prm and just place a stock or aluminum suzuki linkage plate on that front link. well see.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup I recieved my front elkas yesterday and the rear link. The link was supposed to look like a stock link but it does not at all, its anodized red just like the red parts on elka shocks, not complaining though. The link is the twin beam link that is replaced and is very simple to install as it comes with new bearings and spacer. The link is around a 1/4" longer and lowers the rear end of the quad by 1-1/4". I took measurements with it toped out, normal seated position and standing on the rear grab bar, all were 1-1/4" lower so it would seem that the leverage ratios are the same. It will take some spacers for a prm skid plate to work. I put none in the rear, an 1/8" in the middle and 1/4" in the front and this provides clearance. I think that I may be able to bend the skid in a press so only the front needs a spacer or I may modify the link protector part so no shims are needed. Either way its no big deal and I can probably get by with a little bit less spacer like 1/16" in middle and 3/16" in front. The front shocks can use some work for the zps system in my opinion. To me they sag to much, for now I just cranked down the adjuster ring to compress the little spring so the crossover ring takes effect quicker and this raises the ride height some from the way they came. Im not sure if this is the wrong way to do it, Ive heard that you need to adjust with bigger crossover rings but I dont really see the difference because the little spring is what compresses first anyway. I cant really give a ride report with 6" of snow on the ground right now but I am very excited about seeing how this system performs because I am supposed to ride it some and then send in my rear shock for a revalve after I see what the rear link does to the rear suspension action. I ride a little of both xc and mx and this was the deal we worked out. The front shocks definatly look good on the white Z. The rear link looks good but is hidden by the skid plate.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rear Linkage

Where did you get link from CPM or Elka, and how much?
Sounds nice, have heard thats a BIG improvement!!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Imac, could you tell me how much the shocks and link lowered the z front and rear? THANKS!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the rear is lowered 1.25 inches when toped out ,sitting normal, or standing on rear grab bar, The front I have set right now at about 1.5-2" of sag but if you were to completely compress the little spring they would ride at a stock ride height, they came set up with about 4" of sag I would guess, it seemed to be an excessive amount. What would happen is that the weight of the bike would compress not only the little spring but slightly compress the medium and large springs also, not much but about the same as a stock shock does, so if you add that with the little springs travel it was a large amount of sag. I will most likely loosen the rear spring some and that will lower the rear end some more without having zps. After seeing how much longer the rear link was and seeing how much it lowered the quad those 4-5 threads on our rear adjuster rings will lower the bike atleast another half inch I would think, if not more. Its a cpm link not Elka. I understand that the Elka link replaces both pieces, this one just replaces the twin beam link, the single beam link remains stock.

·
Registered
632 Posts
A Correction is needed for IMAC. The Rear link from ELKA only contains the wishbone part of the Link. The CPM is most likely an ELKA link also. CPM is just selling the setup from ELKA, just like any others dealers. These Dealers are also large Elka Dealers, ATV Addiction, Quadshop, and Burgard Cycle.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Be careful in lowering the rear shock to much. After I put on my front Works that lowered the front about 2,'' I lowered the rear spring. It would bottom out easy. The Axis shock in the rear lowered the back and has more travel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts