Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my Z out for a little ride after I installed my Raptor Petcock, Trimmed my carb spring, adjusted my clutch lever free play, and did the "blob" removal..
I was riding along and when I came to almost a stop and pegged the throttle (trying to test out the responsiveness of the shortened carb spring) the engine revved up real high but the wheels didn't move for a few seconds.. So I adjusted the clutch (gave the lever a bit more free play) and still it did that.. It will also sometimes just sit there and rev up for a second or two while making a turn at slow speed..
This is really weird because it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping at all when I peg the throttle and it goes.. It pulls really hard and has awesome acceleration. It's just that sometimes it will sit there and just rev up and the wheels won't' move..

I suppose i'll start by changing the oil to a synthetic motorcycle oil and see if it helps (the oil in the reservoir did seem a little dirty)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Make sure you are using an oil that is suitable for a wet clutch, otherwise it will cause it to slip.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no clue what kind of oil is in there now.. whatever the last owner ran in it. The only reason I didn't' change it was because when i opened up the head (took the grey cover off the top) the oil looked very clean like it was recently changed.. it still had that golden color to it

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of oil should I use?
Usually I get that Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil, but I have heard others say that Rotella is really good as well...

·
Registered
800 Posts
i like amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil, but that is my opinion and this topic could start a huge debate

·
Registered
259 Posts
most atv oil is not golden color i bet the last owner dumped car oil in it

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 in both my z400 and my warrior and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have a dentist appointment tomorrow at 1pm and there is a Yamaha dealer about a mile down the road that sells the 10w-40 amsoil motorcycle oil so i'll just pick up a few quarts of that that.. how much oil does the Z take?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
really? they have to get you with that .3 quarts huh? lol
got a brand new, beautiful k&n oil filter waiting to be installed

·
Registered
800 Posts
yea i always hated that part, i could never remember if the time before i bought that extra quart or not and would always end up with an extra. they changed that with the ltr, just 2 quarts needed now, woohoo

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
You change the oil?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
couldn't :( didn't realize the Yamaha dealer closed at 3pm today.. since my mom, my sister and I all had dentist appointments, we didn't get out of there ti'll 3:30 and when we pulled up to the dealer they were closed :disgust:

considering how I found out I need a new cam chain now, I won't be riding the quad ti'll I get a new one installed (hopefully a top end rebuild will be coming my way..) so i'll change the oil after I do that

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy a gallon or two of Rotella T.
You'll be able to change your oil three times for the cost of the other stuff........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts