Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace my clutch lever and perch, but havent had any luck finding any aftermarket perches that accomadate that stupid safety switch(you know, makes you pull the clutch in to start the dang thing)
Now, i figure with only two wires, it ought to be simple, either attach the two wires together, or plug them off so that they dont make contact.
Anyone know what to do to bypass this switch allowing the mount of an aftermarket clutch perch?

· Registered
1,293 Posts
your right on track... if i were you i would cut the wires and try and start it, if it doesnt start, splice them together and try and start it, leave it however it works, just tape it off good, i did this so long ago i dont remember how it needs to be!

· Registered
792 Posts
i did it just connect the 2 wires

my "safety switch" broke off and that was i did to get rid of it

· Registered
1,063 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2006 and don't know if all years are the same but....

I wanted to do this mod and today I pulled the entire CPS unit out of the perch. There's a little tab on the underneath side that needs pushed in before it will come out. When I pulled the CPS unit out to cut the wires, I noticed that the end of the unit has a spring loaded pin that gets pushed in when the clutch lever isn't pulled. When you pull the clutch, the spring loaded pin pops out and completes the circuit with the two wires. With the entire CPS unit out, the spring loaded pin is always out and the two wires are always connected. So, I didn't even have to cut and splice the two wires. I just tucked the entire CPS unit down under my plastics and if I ever want to reinstall it all I have to do is plug it back in to the perch.

Also this could be used to help stop theft. When away from your ride you could tape the pin so it's always in and hide the unit down under the plastics again. The bike won't start because it would be like the clutch wasn't pulled in.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
so I cut the switch off and spliced the two wires together and it still won’t start
does it click? it shouldn't click if it's done correctly, I've done mine ages ago and last time (a few weeks ago) I was in the middle of the desert (empty quarter - near Saudi Arabia borders!), and suddenly out of nowhere the Clutch safety switch decided to add some action and came loose/disconnected... I've spent good 10-15 minutes just trying to identify why the bike won't start (no click, no lights dimming, nothing), I checked the battery, starter relay, wires, and everything else, but nothing helped, once I tapped the clutch safety switch; it started,,, it was the first time it ever malfunctioned since +10 years!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts