Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 03 ltz400 and when getting in it’s ass it’ll hit rev limiter before it gets to speed. When letting the clutch out in first it’ll only disengage half way. It has new tusk plates a new motion pro cable and new release arm. What could the problem be? Oh and it has fresh oil change.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
If the clutch is dragging when it should be disengaged, often times it's because the steel clutch plates are warped. Did they get replaced too? I have had new plates that were warped before too.

As for the rev limiter issue, a rich main jet or clogged intake can make it act like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
How did the basket look as far as wear on the “teeth” that the clutch plates slide into? With age, they tend to wear a groove in them from the tabs on the friction plates and they hang up when trying to disengage.
I assume you soaked the clutch plates in oil before installing them. New springs or old ones?

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
Just for clarity, if it isn’t fully engaging (meaning fully seating and making the quad move), it’s probably the cable being too tight or something internal holding it open.
If it isn’t fully disengaging (meaning the quad wants to keep moving even when clutch lever is pulled), then the cable is likely too loose.
If clutch is slipping at top end, it’s possibly already smoked from going in dry or being out of adjustment. They have to be soaked in oil for at least a few hours if not overnight before installing.
Is there slack in the cable at the release arm? Was it marked before it was removed to be sure it went back on in the same position?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for clarity, if it isn’t fully engaging (meaning fully seating and making the quad move), it’s probably the cable being too tight or something internal holding it open.
If it isn’t fully disengaging (meaning the quad wants to keep moving even when clutch lever is pulled), then the cable is likely too loose.
If clutch is slipping at top end, it’s possibly already smoked from going in dry or being out of adjustment. They have to be soaked in oil for at least a few hours if not overnight before installing.
Is there slack in the cable at the release arm? Was it marked before it was removed to be sure it went back on in the same position?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think they were soaked. When you put the quad in first and pull the clutch in and push it it won’t move but you can hear the clutch internals move.

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
I wouldn’t be alarmed by that. New clutches can be grabby. Is there slack in the cable at the engine?

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
There should be slack there. If there’s none, the clutch never gets to fully engage to hook up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts