Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys on my kfx the clutch is starting to slip pretty bad! I dont know what kinda clutch to get, or if there is anything else i need to get while doing this. i also did a search on how to do it and i had no luck. Any help? i would appreciate it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well as for what clutch, I have only had the factory clutch, which started slipping after a little bit of overheating and running out of oil (broke off drain plug on a stump.)

Engine straight up died after a few miles more of riding. So I rebuilt it. CW kit. Then the clutch was slipping.

I then went to the Tusk clutch with HD springs from RockyMountainATV.com. I think my springs had just gotten weak, but I am turning into a maintenance machine so I try to do what I can now ahead of time.

The slipping stopped. Still been fine for a year and a lot of riding. The Tusk Clutch kit is very reasonable, easy to install, and seems to work well for me, and many others.

I reused all gaskets that didn't come with the kit. No leaks, no slips, and no problems. Its really cheap compared to other clutch kits

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay i just went to the website and i checked out the tusk clutch kit with heavy duty springs. but it doesnt say anything about gaskets coming with it. so will i need to buy the tusk clutch cover gasket set with it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And will i need a new clutch basket to?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Now that you mention it I can't remember if it actually did come with gaskets, thought it did. I didn't order anything separately to replace mine though..

Shouldn't need a new clutch basket. If it is just slipping its just your clutch plates that are worn/or could be just the springs. But for if your taking it apart, you might as well do the package including both springs and plates.

I think it took me about 30-40 minutes to put the clutch plates in? Don't forget to soak the clutch disks in oil for at least a few hours before installation. Also use the correct oil, will tell you in the manual.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, i dont have a manual for reference. i have done everything else just learning as i went. but something tells me i dont need to do that on something like this lol you know if there is one on here?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i got a heavy duty driveline clutch for a good price cuz mine was slipping bad its pretty easy to install. on the home page on the left hand side look for "tech articles" and the first one is how to change your clutch thats how i did mine. it helped alot

·
Registered
463 Posts
Okay, i dont have a manual for reference. i have done everything else just learning as i went. but something tells me i dont need to do that on something like this lol you know if there is one on here?
Not sure what your asking, are you asking for a manual? If so no, there isn't one.

If that isn't what your asking, I can look something up in my manual if you have a specific question.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i was asking if there was a manual on here. Thanks for your help though ridin434.

And Thanks for the info kuwaition91!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know what others use for a manual, but I have found cyclepedia.com to be pretty good. They have good sized pictures in color, and you can buy either a year subscription or lifetime for a fairly reasonable price. They seem to mention some tricks to doing things other manuals don't.

As for free, probably won't find anything. These are pretty easy wheelers to work on, don't be afraid to tear into it after having some basic knowledge of engines.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay thanks ridin434! i just read the thread on clutch replacement and it looks like a breeze! i thought it was alot harder than that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
me too, i was quite scared to tear into it. i had to do it twice last night( not by choice), and was mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Here is the link, just read and do it like it explains. Its very simple, did mine yesterday. Drain oil, and coolant first. You will need a gasket, oil, oil filter, 50/50 coolant and add some water wetter. Use locktite on bolts. Cover bolts torque to 8.5 lb or 100 inch pounds, clutch spring bolts I think I go 20nm, just make sure they are tight. No sweat. Suzuki LT Z400 Clutch Replacement Guide -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts