Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 03 z400. The tab on the reverse lock shaft broke off and found it in bottom of motor behind the clutch cover. I'm going to do the work myself as I am mechanically inclined. I do have a manual. The motor has never been opened up. Not looking to spend money on more hp unless it just makes since to upgrade a part and that is a secondary consequence. Setting a budget of $700 minus the $110 for the splitter, crank, and flywheel tools from tusk. I realize a lot of this will be decided upon inspection and that I could replace every little thing inside there. But trying to keep the budget down. But will spend money where needed.
Have several questions.
1st. On disassembly what parts should I check for wear and replacement? I.e. Piston, rings,valves,guides.
2nd anything I should replace while inside to extend the interval of opening it up again I.E. Transmission bearings.
3rd. For reassembly, I need gasket kit, seal kit, permatex, loctite, and assembly lube? Anything else? I see separate kits for those and "whole" kits. The 2 separate kits are cheaper than the whole. Just don't want to come up short on one ring cause I ordered the wrong stuff.
Thanks ahead of time, and sorry for the long post just trying to be thurough on what im wanting.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
an 03 that's never been apart ?? i should think piston ,rings, cam chain ,valves and oil pump

has the swingarm bolt ever been out ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nothing has been apart on it. If going with new position and rings do I have to have it honed or bored if it looks good? If song valves do I just get stockers? Valve guides? Order a valve shim kit?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
considering how old the thing is it might be wise to just get a big bore kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Open to any suggestions, but what's the thinking behind that? And what else other than just getting the kit would I have to upgrade? Carb, valves, cams?

·
Super Moderator
3,363 Posts
If song valves do I just get stockers? Valve guides? Order a valve shim kit?
Do not get stock valves. Better products cheaper. Go Stainless.. Upgrade the springs to DRZ E double springs.
You can't bore the stock cylinder without re-plating, Just as cheap to go aftermarket kit. May as well make it a big bore, some price..
You don't need to upgrade anything else, but you will enjoy the benefit of more air in, more air out if you do..

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
You’ll need crank bearings, rings, and head/base gaskets for sure. They usually aren’t in a gasket kit. You should check how many clicks are left on the cam chain tensioner before taking it apart. That will tell you if you need a new chain. Updated stainless valves are a very good idea, as well as dual valve springs. A new oil pump would be wise, as well. Other than that, just do what is needed to keep costs down. If the bore and/or piston is scratched, go the big bore route. If you have any money left over, find an FCR carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts