Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay got a lot of “mods” I’ve been thinking of....... for cooling. I have a oversized mishimoto radiator, no air fins on the front....

For the coolant system, which would work better and does anyone have any part #’s or any other ideas? As to, cooler thermostat, hot wiring fan to stay running to keep temp cooler, adding water wetter with engine ice (I run engine ice btw) any etc.. options I’m open to... or would considerate

Now, for my second “coolant” “mod”...... oil; I’d like to add a oil cooler, I know I’ll have to add and keep eye on the oil level. I’d like to have one with a drain plug. I know the stock oil pan works and does it’s job but I want something to help it out for my build. (462 for now, all supporting mods in sig)

as for anyone running like 470’s-490 etc.. have y’all added any extra cooling systems? And how long and hot do you usually ride? How long does your engine last? (Until rebuild or blows)

Back to oil cooler; I would like to add a oil cooler as on a 400ex or 450r, I know I could go that route, but I wouldn’t mind just buying a $20 tranny cooler off rockauto... (will provide link in sec) and run it with everything else......

now, some extra advice I need; I know oil pressure will be a factor too, so I need some help with compensating with that? If anyone has ANY ideas. Cause rn I’m just in the thinking process, just for extra insurance and longevity.... but shouldn’t it still run well? For say not running it into the head (hence needing more pressure, butwould help with cams and keep head cooler from the colder oil going in) I’m not sure how much pressure the pump runs or how much extra oil it could push and how far and efficient it could... I know it pushes enough and good enough stream to blow it out the tank if you take the cap off

so, that said.... if any of this could happen, I would try to run it straight out the return (from engine) to the (new) oil cooler, then run that back to the oil tank and then that goes to the engine.... or I could straight by pass; go from tank Hookup to the cooler and then straight to the engine.

also I would add a small fan to the oil cooler for extra insurance. This would benefit the whole motor and cooling process in total. The same idea aswhat most have done on the 400ex. I also know the 400ex comes with a oil cooler from factory as well as the 450r...... is that why Honda “lasts longer”?

Again, this is all a thought process. Can’t really find anything thorough enough so I might do my own write up and “DIY” post and videos if I get enough feedback and questions answered

please, I have done my research for a while now and thought even longer. So please, any vets that have any ideas or “I’ve done’s” please let me know. Also if there’s is no need in all this lmk. Like for you all running the 490 and running 110 and in tight trails and such.... if there’s no point in doing this and the z is ultimately as cool as stock and none of this will “help” longevity or cooling or anything then let me know. I prob won’t waste my time.
This is just a thought I’ve had for a while and would like more info.... might try to accomplish it sometime if it’ll benefit me and or others

btw don’t like 450’s. Lol. $&%#@ too expensive for them

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Link for the cooler,

RockAuto

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
I ran my 462 very hard in the Southern California desert on the stock cooling system in triple-digit temperatures regularly and never had an overheating problem. Not sure it’s worth the effort or $$$.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
thermostat still in ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@jetmech25 I was just thinking this may save the life of the engines but didn’t know if anyone had ever tried anything like this before

@cataway yessir still has the stock thermostat I believe, seems to still all work well just trying to think of a way to keep engine a lot cooler and more “efficient” andtry to add some longevity to it

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
Having an oversized radiator will keep it plenty cool. I've never found a need to go any further. I have a 490 and a 462, both are high compression and cranking out plenty of horsepower. Even those aren't hard to keep cool with an oversized radiator.

Water wetter helps the coolant transfer heat a little more efficiently.

The oil is cooled by the oil tank, which also has never turned up any problems that I'm aware of.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,047 Posts
Just run Evans coolant and all your problems go away. No need to worry about anything.

I used to boil coolant in my LTR and when I switched to evans all my issues went away. I even ran my practice LTR for a 2 hr race on 1/4 coolant and it never had any issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CFM Performance offers an aftermarket oil tank that they add several pieces of pipe into so that air can flow through the tank and further cool the oil. i think they claim an average drop of 30 degrees or something like that. all the products I've ever bought from them have been super high quality, and all made in the USA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts